Author Topic: problems on studying thermoelectic properties of a MoS2 nanoribbon  (Read 2428 times)

Offline wot19920302

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Dear staffs:
          I want to construct a Armchair MoS2 nanoribbon device descrided in the paper Anisotropic thermoelectric
behavior in armchair and zigzag mono- and fewlayer MoS2 in thermoelectric generator applications
(149 atoms supercell as central region)to study some properties, here are my processes:
        1. unit cell optimization
        1). Click "Add>Add from Database" and locate molybdenite. Add it to the stash
       2). Use the mouse to select and delete the 3 atoms to the right in the cell. This leaves a single layer of MoS2
       3).Now the vector C is too long so I assume that the C direction is non-periodic, as the result , expand vacuum along the C direction , and center the unit cell using coordinate tools(fig.1)
      4).Optimize the modified unit cell with DFT(GGA, k-points 3*3*1, mesh cut-off of 75 Ha,force and stress of 0.05 and 0.05 eV , respectively. Uncheck Constrain cell A,B,leave C checked) (fig.2), perform optimization and then get optimized unit cell
      5).Adjust supercell parameters to get orthogonal cell,swap axis(make the C direction  transport dierection)(fig.3), repeat unit cells along B(5 times) and C(5 times) to get the central region(149 atoms supercell as central region), then click “device from bulk"
      2.setting parameters
     After studying  http://docs.quantumwise.com/tutorials/thermoelectrics_cnt_isotope.html . I began to set parameters to get Transmission Spetrum and phonon Transmission Spetrum.
      1)Click “New calculation” with DFT(LDA 、k-pionts 1*1*100、density mesh cut-off of 10 Ha), particularly, electron temperature in calculator setting is not “real temperature” and electronic transmission spectrum is insensitive to electron temperature so it doesn’t matter the value is 300K ,500K or 800K.
     2)Click “Transmission spectrum”, set the energy range to -2 to 2eV. k-pionts 1*1*100. the number of points 201.
     3)Click ”New calculation” with Stillinger-Weber potential
     4)Click”Dynamic marix”  repetition is custom and na、nb: 1*1
     5)Click”phonon transmission spectrum”, set energy range from 0 to 0.5eV and q-pionts 1*1,the number of points 201
     3. data analyzing
     After calculating, I get one transmission_spectrum.nc and one phonon_transmission_spectrum.nc. Then I can use thermoelectric coefficient plugins  to calculate conductance, Seebeck’s coefficient, electronic contribution to thermal conductance, and phonon contribution to thermal conductance at different temperatures by changing values of “electrode temperature” in thermoelectric coefficient plugins. in addition, I think that "electrode temperature” in thermoelectric coefficient plugins. affect thermoelectric coefficient by Fermi disribution and Boltzmann distribution.
     These are my thoughts and what I have done, but the results disappoint me. I will appreciate your kindness if you could point out my  mistakes and guide me.
      Best regards.

:) :)

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
My initial thoughts are that
1) your geometry optimization could probably be improved a bit (minor thing),
2) your 10 Ha cutoff energy for DFT-LDA calculation is way too small. Go for default 75 Ha for FHI potentials.

Apart from this, we will need to see the script(s) to help you further (configuration, calculator, analysis ...)

Offline wot19920302

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
My initial thoughts are that
1) your geometry optimization could probably be improved a bit (minor thing),
2) your 10 Ha cutoff energy for DFT-LDA calculation is way too small. Go for default 75 Ha for FHI potentials.

Apart from this, we will need to see the script(s) to help you further (configuration, calculator, analysis ...)

Thanks for your kindness, I need your more hlep. Here is my script:
« Last Edit: April 6, 2016, 04:41 by wot19920302 »

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
I see that you have chosen non-default  values for a number of settings. Some of them I do not like too much, e.g. why change the contour integral settings?

Please see attached script, where I have set up the calculations in the way I think it should be done. The main changes are
1) default 75 Ha cut-off for FHI-DZP potentials. 10 Ha is much too small for DFT calculations. I know the paper states that they used 10 Ha, but that is either an error or they really used a tight-binding method instead of DFT. Use no less than 75 Ha for DFT calculations.
2) Your device is a 2D sheet, not a 1D ribbon. You therefore need more than 1 kpoint along the periodic direction (B). Changed to 1x3x100.
3) Removed the custom contour integral settings.
4) 1x9 k-points for the electronic Transmission Spectrum. Again, you should sample the periodic direction well.
5) repetitions=(1,1,1) for the DynamicalMatrix is not optimum for a 2D sheet. Essentially means Gamma-point sampling only. Changed to "automatic", which turns out to yield (1,3,1).
6) 1x1 q-points for PhononTransmissionSpectrum changed to 1x9, again due to periodicity along B.

I have not run the calculations in full, so I cannot say if this script will bring you better agreement with results in the paper. In any case, I am a little concerned about the 10 Ha DFT calculation mentioned in the paper. I firmly believe that is too little for a quality DFT calculation.

Offline wot19920302

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Thank you very much,  I'll try tomorrow. ;D ;D