Author Topic: Type of metal used  (Read 1660 times)

Offline SAKINA

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Type of metal used
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:20 »
Hi,

I have question regarding the type of metal used in spatial regions. Because if it is dielectric it can be used as silicon dioxide by changing its dielectric constant by 3.9. But for metallic only voltage can be adjusted. Therefore i wonder what type of this metallic region is?  Besides that, i also wonder what type of electrode used when the structure is convert to device using " device from bulk" option?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Type of metal used
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55 »
1. The metallic region and dielectric region are both simply regions in space with either a constant electric potential (metal) or a fixed dielectric constant (dielectric). So the metallic region is not any special metal in particular, it is simply a region in space with a constant potential, similar to what you would have in a "real" device with metal gates.
2. The device from Bulk plugin simply takes you bulk configuration (which is to become the central region in the device) and attaches electrodes in both ends. Therefore, the electrodes have the same crystal structure as the central region has in the ends near the electrodes.