Author Topic: how to make the best choice for mesh-cutoff and k-point  (Read 5831 times)

Offline hung

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Dear Sir
I read all comment about k-point but I don't really understand how to make the best choice mesh-cutoff and k-point for two probes systerm.
can you comment something more clear? for an example, I want to calculate the transmission spectrum, etc..I tried some case and results are diferent, a case T(E)>1  ??? do you suggest for this example?
thank you very much much!!!

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: how to make the best choice for mesh-cutoff and k-point
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2010, 14:10 »
As with many things, finding the "best" value is a matter of experience. It will depend on your material, the dimensionality and size, and - ultimately - a crucial balancing of computational time vs. accuracy, since in theory you should have infinitely many k-points (except if the dimensionality is reduced in any direction) and an infinite mesh cut-off.

All one can do on a general level is to provide some guidelines for how to obtain this experience in the most efficient way.

• For any direction in which the system is finite, you only need 1 k-point. Thus, for a nanotube (or any other effectively 1D system) you only need more than k-points in the tube axis direction.
  • There is a general rule of reciprocal vs. real space which tells you that the shorter the period, the more k-points you need.
  • The task of computing the electron density on the one hand, and the transmission spectrum on the other, may have completely different requirements in terms of k-points, in order to obtain an acceptable level of accuracy. A good example if the Fe/MgO/Fe magnetic-tunnel junction, where you do need quite many XY k-points (perhaps 9x9) for the electron density (i.e. the self-consistent loop), you will need upwards of 200x200 for the transmission spectrum, at least in the configuration where the electrodes have parallel spin polarization, due to the presence of very sharp resonant tunneling peaks.
  • The more localized the atomic orbitals are, the larger the mesh cut-off needs to be. Thus, systems with a lot of d-electrons tightly bound to the core need a higher value (perhaps 150 H or more) than a simple sp2 bonded graphene nanotube, where 40-50 H might be enough (at least for energies).
  • An accurate evaluation of forces requires a larger mesh cut-off (smaller grid point distance) than required for the electron structure.

Ultimately, you need to test your system, and get to know it, from the perspective of k-points, mesh cut-off, and other parameters. Only then can you have confidence in the results.

If other users have further general (or specific) insights, I hope you will share them with the community in this thread.

Offline hung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2010, 18:30 »
thanks for your reply. One more question  :), why transmission coefficent can > 1 (thus theory Tmax=1)?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2010, 22:29 »
T(E) is not the transmission probability, but a measure of how many open transmission channels you have at a particular energy. This number may very well be above 1. Actually T(E) isn't even just a number, it is reported in ATK in units of 2e/h.

Offline hung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2010, 16:01 »
Ah! thank so lot. I confused, because in your manuals of new version I didn't see a nanolanguage structure of Transmission coefficient (I  begin with ATK 10.8). I konw we can calculate Transmission coefficient from Transmission spectrum but I don't know it's nanolanguage structure. Could you show me it, s'il vous plaĆ®t?
thank again!!!