Author Topic: zone folding  (Read 4110 times)

Offline aschenk

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
zone folding
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:25 »
Hi,
How can I remove the effects of zone folding on my calculated band structures? I've done some simple calculations on the database model of graphene, but now I want to repeat these calculations on a larger cell of graphene. Ultimately I want to put molecules on top of the graphene layer and look at the change in bandstructure due to the presence of the molecules, for which I need a larger graphene unit cell.
Thanks

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: zone folding
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:09 »
The following paper may be helpful to solve your problem:
Wei Ku, Tom Berlijn, Chi-Cheng Lee, Unfolding first-principles band structures, http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.4218

Offline aschenk

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13 »
Thanks. Looks like some pretty heavy coding to get that working, I might give it a few months before I try

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59 »
Yes, it's a bit tricky.

You may want to take a step back and think about why you specifically want to look at the change in band structure. Perhaps a more relevant measure of the influence of the molecule would be the density of states? Also, if you are looking at the change in the bands, as a result of the molecule, then you just need to compare the bands of the supercell without and with the molecule, never mind the folding.