Author Topic: No plots being displayed from Virtual Nanolab  (Read 6073 times)

Offline CormacMcG

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
No plots being displayed from Virtual Nanolab
« on: August 12, 2013, 18:33 »
Dear Forum / Quantumwise

I installed the demo version on a32 but Linux (Debian "testing") system and Virtual Nanolab starts fine.
However on going through the introductory example for SiO2 cristabolite, I find the calculation appears to work, but when I click on any of the possible options in the "Results Viewer" having selected a calculated property in the "Results Browser" I find that nothing happens.

I know that the calculation has worked as I can use a NetCDF viewer to see some of the data in the output file from the calculation.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong? The PATH appears to be correct, Glxgears works ok. Perhaps there are some helper programs for the individual Results Viewer programs that are needed?
How should I diagnose this problem further ?

Regards
Cormac

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: No plots being displayed from Virtual Nanolab
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 20:39 »
It appears odd. To be a bit more specific, is this only for the 3D isosurface/contour plots? What about the band structure, do you see that? Can you open the Builder and Viewer ok and build the system (I would assume so, but best to check)? Does VNL crash, or just nothing happens?

Offline CormacMcG

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:43 »
Nothing happens!  - Simply nothing happens when selecting either : the bandstructure plot; the bulk configuration; the electron difference density both via contour and isosurface

To be precise I can use the Builder and construct something. So far I have only a complete calculation by tried loading from database, as per the example. I can follow the example calculation up to the point where I select a result for the results viewer - at that point nothing happens when selecting the desired plot (as above). I can successfully launch the Viewer through the icon on the Virtual Nanolab toolbar. Also I can launch the Analyser.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:39 »
Try launching VNL from a terminal window (open terminal, type "vnl"), and again click "Plot" Are there any messages in the terminal? What if you select the BandStructure object and click "Save" in the Result Viewer, do you at least see the data and can export it to a file?

To be absolutely clear, do you click the "Show" button, and not just the "Plot" line?

Offline CormacMcG

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:54 »
Apologies for wasting your time!  I feel like a real fool...

It seems, as you suspected, I was just clicking the line, and not the "Show" button. Unfortunately, it was only when I moused-over the "Show" that it appeared as a button. I really thought I had clicked on Show/Save before now...

Thanks for pointing out the obvious - now I can try the software

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00 »
That's ok - honest mistake :) In 13.8 it will hopefully be a bit more obvious how to plot things etc., we have been aware of the awkwardness of the Result Viewer for some time, and are now addressing it. It may be a good idea to check out the video tutorials at our YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/QuantumWiseTV.