Author Topic: Trouble installing latest version  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Worf

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Trouble installing latest version
« on: May 27, 2011, 15:48 »
Hello,

I have installed previous versions in the past (distro 10), but for some reason I cannot seem to install the new version 11.2.3. My OS is Windows XP, 32 bit.

The installation proceeds almost to the end (according to the progress meter) but then quits with the following pop-up:

There has been an error.
Error running D:\Program Files\Quantumwise\atk-11.2.3/vcredist_x86.exe /q:a /c:"msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn /l*v C:\DOCUME~1\gsho\LOCALS~1\Temp\vcredits_x86.log
:Program ended with an error exit code
The application will exit now.

Any ideas? My only idea is that it doesn't like the space in the path, but I've installed version 10 in the same directory tree and its worked previously (I've since uninstalled version 10....)

Any help appreciated!! :)

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Trouble installing latest version
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 16:09 »
This is a spurious error, which we haven't been able to find the explanation for. One "solution" is to reattempt the installation, usually it works on the 2nd or 3rd attempt...

It's not really necessary to do that, fortunately. ATK itself is properly installed at the point the installer misbehaves, what is left is just to set up the uninstaller (a minor issue if you don't have one), install the Visual C++ runtime, and set up the license.

The runtime is that same for 11.2 and 10.8, so it's probably already installed. If not, i.e. if you start VNL and it doesn't work properly (after the license is set up in the next step), then you can always install the runtime manually by going to the installation directory and run (double-click) D:\Program Files\Quantumwise\atk-11.2.3\vcredist_x86.exe.

The license is the only remaining point to handle. If you are using a floating license server, what you need to do is define the system environment variable QUANTUM_AUTOMATIC_SERVER_DISCOVERY. Set it to the value 1. After that, open a terminal window (Start Menu>Run>"cmd") and try to run "atkpython". If all is well, you should enter interactive mode; if not, check the error message. (To leave interactive mode, type "exit()" or hit Ctrl+D, and then Enter.

If you have a license file, you would instead set the variable QUANTUM_LICENSE_PATH to the path of the file.

I trust you are familiar with editing the environment variables? If not, and otherwise, let me know if get ATK running with these steps (it's really only the license you need to set up).

Offline Worf

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble installing latest version
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 22:40 »
Thanks, Anders! I'll let you know if I have any problems with your instructions below. It seems I need to enlist the help of some local IT guys to do these steps. After running vcredist_x86, it appears that it isn't enough to have admin rights on the machine, I have to be in the Administrator group (which is, apparently, different). Since currently it appears that I have admin rights but i'm not in the Administrator "group", somehow, vcredist_x86 and atkpython seem to both exit with errors. This may have been the root of the problem in the first place. Funny thing--I've never run into this problem before, and I've installed a lot of other things on this machine without any issue.

I'll probably try rerunning the installer with extra-super-special rights first, and then i'll check back if I still have problems following the steps you outlined. Thanks again for your help!