Author Topic: numerical data such as intensity of vibration/vibational amplitude in IETS run  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Sabyasachi Sen

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
I furnish below part of the result obtained with a IETS run;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Vibrational Mode Report |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| K-point = [0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000] (fractional) |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mode index Energy Wavenumber
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mode 0: -3928.83 meV -31688.14 cm^-1 (eigenmode available)
Mode 1: -3478.62 meV -28056.95 cm^-1 (eigenmode available)
Mode 2: -3084.02 meV -24874.30 cm^-1 (eigenmode available)
Mode 3: -2952.32 meV -23812.08 cm^-1 (eigenmode available)
Mode 4: -2084.22 meV -16810.40 cm^-1 (eigenmode available)

The problem is there are altogether 82 modes available. Energies are probably phonon energy. In the output it is written 'eigenmode available'; but which vibartional mode is important would be understood if numerical data such as intensity of vibration/vibational amplitude is known.  Kindly, inform me how to get the intensity of various vibrational mode so that we can make transmission spectrum calculation only on those significant modes.

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
I am not sure how to define the intensity of a vibrational mode, but the vibrational amplitude depends on temperature. So I think it is not an altogether simple matter to define a measure for the relative importance of vibrational modes.

On another note: It seems curious that your vibrational energies/wavenumbers are so large and negative. This usually implies that the structure was not properly geometry optimized.