Author Topic: the transimission spectrum in a two probe system  (Read 19101 times)

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Re: the transimission spectrum in a two probe system
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 14:22 »
Hi,Nordland! In your opinion, the results is right, ok?
you can have a look at this papers: physical review B 71,165316 (2005) and nano letters 2008,8(11),pp 3662-3667.
Thank you !

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 14:47 »
I have looked through the papers, but as I can see, they do not divide the transmission spectrum into spatial regions. Is it a specific figure you are talking about?

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 15:08 »
In physical review B 71,165316 (2005), is figure 4, 6, 7. and in nano letters 2008,8(11),pp 3662-3667 is figure 3.

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 15:41 »
As we can see from my calculations, the transmission spectra is unsymmetrical. If I choose -6 to 6 as the X axis, in the bias window, there will be lots of values of zero. I don't know the reason,  and I also can not decide the results is right or not!
In that two papers, the transmission specrta are basically symmetry when the x axis is zero.
I don't know the reason.

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 21:23 »
As we can see from my calculations, the transmission spectra is unsymmetrical.
In general all transmission spectra is unsymmetrical, it is only in very special cases that is symmetrical.
The only case I have ever seen, is in a nearest neighbour tightbinding approximation for carbon nanotubes, which simple overlap model. The transmission spectrum can only be expected to be symmetrical, if the band structure is symmetrical around the fermi level, and the system is homogenious and has no spatial variation in structure. Since your system has a spatial varation with ZnO in the middle,
it is the most natural thing, that the transmission spectrum is unsymmetrical.

Look at this simple system in the manual (link).
You can look at transmission spectrum which is perfect and unsymmetrical.

If I choose -6 to 6 as the X axis, in the bias window, there will be lots of values of zero. I don't know the reason,  and I also can not decide the results is right or not!
The transmission spectrum is not a bias window. The transmission spectrum is plot of the probability T of a electron with a certain energy E in the electrode being transmitted through the scattering region.
So if the transmission has a value 0.325 at the E=-3.0 eV, it means that a incident electron with an energy for -3.0 eV relative to the fermi level, have a probability of 0.325 of being transmitted through the scattering region.

If the value is zero in the transmission spectrum for a given energy (fx E= -7 eV) it means one of the two following things:
1) Either there is no electrons ( no allowed eigenstates ) in the electrode with this energy relative to the fermi level.
2) There is electrons in the electrode with this energy relative to fermi level, but the electrons at this energy has no chance for being transmitted through the device, therefore there is a transmission probability of zero.

Following up the note about the bias window - it is important to understand that the transmission spectrum is only related to the bias/current, that you can get the current from integrating the transmission spectrum from -V/2 to V/2 if you have bias of V taking into account the fermi distribution of the two electrodes
Therefore if you have a bias of 6 Volt, then you must integrate the transmission spectrum from -3 eV to 3 eV weight the fermi function. In order to be correct, the calculation must then be done at 6.0 V bias as well.

In your case the transmission spectrum could indicate that the the current will grow linearly with the bias until a certain thresshold, where it would enter a maximum current until the bias becomes very high.

Therefore

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 21:38 »
Having look through the paper, I might have found the cause of confusion.

In Physical Review B 71,165316, there is a figure 2 - this is NOT a transmission spectrum, but an IV curve.
Figure 3 is a transmission spectrum, just like the one you have calculated.

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 07:56 »
Thank you, Nordland! Thanks for your answers and suggestions!

Good job!

When you have finished your calculation on the transmission spectra, please post here to make a comparision!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:59 by yangzw1985 »

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 04:34 »
Hi, everyone! I want to know something about the applied voltage.
Now, I would like to calculate the current and the transmission spectra of the two probe system. I have calculated it with the applied voltages of 1,2,3,4,5,6V. Now I was wondering whether the increase of voltage is too large.
If I perform the calculated with the applied voltage of 0.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3V. Would it be more reasonable? If not, please give me the details.
Thanks!

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55 »
Well there are two side of it - one is the convergence, the other is the sampling of your IV curve.

If your system always converges, and you are not interested in the details of the IV curve, then go for 1,2,3,4,5,6.
However if you are interested in smaller features of the IV curve, or you having convergence issues, then I would go for 0.5, 1.0, 1.5....

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi,Nordland! I heve try to perform the calculation, now there is a problem occured.
Under the applied voltage of 1V-6V,the calculation convergenced normally. But under the applied voltaged of 0V, the calculation have been spending a long time, and not finished. while the SC is not zero, and the calculation is still running.
In my opinion, under the applied voltage of 0V, it should be cost short time to finished the calculation. What is the reason for the long time?

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 11:21 »
Hmmm.... what is the converge charge of the other biases?

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 07:14 »
Hi,Nordland,attached is the the running log out window. The SC have reached 280, is it meanfulless to continute this calculation? Under the applied voltages, the calculation convergenced when the SC reached 60-80, with q=1000e-1200e.I don't know the reason.

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 09:31 »
Strange! I think you should kill it and try again with a slightly higher diagonal mixing parameter.

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 14:40 »
Hi,Nordland! I have performed the calculation with diagonal mixing parameter as 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, But it seems that the question is still! I will give it more time to continue the calculation, and if you have find out any other suggestions, please tell me as soon as possible!Thanks!

Offline yangzw1985

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 09:38 »
I am sure that the questions is still, because the SC for all of diagonal mixing parameter as 0.1, 0.2 0.5 have larger than that of 150, and the calculation is still running. I do not know the reason. Under the applied voltage of 0V, it should be easy to convergence. But the calculation is abnormal!