Author Topic: Tr (k, e)/shift in Fermi level  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Dipankar Saha

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Tr (k, e)/shift in Fermi level
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 17:59 »
Hello,
One more thing ...that I find a bit confusing is__

We may obtain the conductance (or, say thermal conductance due to the contributions of the charge carriers) with help the "plugin"..../ Whatever the value that we  get...are they calculated under the linear aprrox. ??

Again,  using the same transmission co-eff.  we do calculate SCF-current also..., but I don't think there is any approximation of linear coherent transport...!!! Isn't it?!!

Best_
Dipankar

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 22:29 »
Yes, as explained in http://quantumwise.com/documents/tutorials/latest/Phonon/index.html/chap.thermoelectric.html, the VNL plugin "Thermoelectric Coefficients" calculates various electronic and vibrational transport coefficients in the linear response regime.

I presume that by "SCF-current" you mean the electrode-to-electrode current derived from a TransmissionSpectrum after SCF is converged. The last sections of http://www.quantumwise.com/documents/manuals/latest/ReferenceManual/index.html/chap.negf.html#sect1.negf.current indicate that the energy-dependent device transmission coefficient may be considered a sum of transmission amplitudes at each particular energy.

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 14:13 »
Thank you Jess...for the reply...!!  :)

the electrode-to-electrode current derived from a TransmissionSpectrum after SCF is converged...

Not exactly that... I meant the calculations of Tr(e) for individual bias voltages..... / However...what that I was asking ....is somewhat related to the Fermi distribution func. of the electrodes. Meaning, if there is not any approximation of linear coherent transport (considering the case of I-V calculation).........then the fL,R(mu, TL,R) should not be approximated or, simplified...!!! Is it not??
Regards_
Dipankar

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 14:32 by Dipankar Saha »

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 14:31 »
Besides, we know that the Tr_e is insensitive to the temp . change....  But G(E) shows a significant variation with temp. If it's a linear electronic conductance...in that case...the only way you can include temp. effect is through the L_0 ... (again, del_T is also zero)....!! Correct??
However, for the other calculations (under the same linear response approx.)...e.g, "S" or, "K_e"...a del_T value should be reqd. ......How do you incorporate the "del_T"  ....given a particular temp. T, say, 100 K, 200 K  or, anything ??
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:57 by Dipankar Saha »

Offline kstokbro

• View Profile
    • QuantumWise
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 11:29 »
The temperature enters the formalism through the fermi function, so it is an electron temperature.
Forinstance, at T=0 the conductance is given by the transmission coefficient at the fermi level, while for a finite temperature the transmission is averaged around the fermi level using the fermi function.

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 15:44 »
Dear Dr. Kurt Stokbro,

Thank you very much for the reply....  :)
________
So, in Near-equilibrium..if we take Taylor’s series expansion....of the f(E, mu_l) -f (E, mu_R) ...then I have two terms... In one of the terms ,  (-df0/dE) needs to be multiplied by del_V  .......and in case of the other one.... (-df0/dE) is multiplied by del_T   
How should we incorporate this  del_V....? Directly into the Landauer formalism?? Or else,  right from the NEGF calculation of the Transmission function...??
Regards_
Dipankar