Author Topic: Thermal Conductivity Simulation.  (Read 2283 times)

Offline karjalag

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Thermal Conductivity Simulation.
« on: March 15, 2016, 19:32 »
I am trying to calculate the thermal conductivity of a Silver interface using a 100 grain and a 110 grain. The potential I am using for the calculation is the 2011 Sheng. Before trying silver, I did the thermal conductivity simulation in the tutorial for silicon and arrived at the published value. For silver I am getting a thermal conductivity several orders of magnitude smaller than the published value. I also get 0.0006 for <dq/dt>. Does ATK classical work well for metals when it come to thermal conductivity? Is the 2011 Sheng potential appropriate for this type of calculation? Is there any parameters in the calculation that need adjusted for the simulations? Thank you in advance.

Offline Julian Schneider

• QuantumATK Staff
  • QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Thermal Conductivity Simulation.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:50 »
1) To what "published value" did you compare your results for the silver grain boundary? To the experimental value, to another simulation study for this particular system, or to the value for the silicon grain boundary?
2) The 2011 Sheng potential should generally work fine to describe the phononic part of the thermal conductivity. But you can make a check yourself by calculating the phonon bandstructure using the potential and compare to experiment or higher-level calculations.
3) Of course, ATK-Classical does not account for the electronic contribution to thermal transport, and, since the electronic contribution can make up a large part of the total thermal conductivity in metallic systems, the simulated value may be considerably lower than the experimental value of such a system.
You can calculate both phononic and electronic conductance using the NEGF-method, as explained in the tutorial http://docs.quantumwise.com/tutorials/thermoelectrics_cnt_isotope.html
4) In principle it is not suspicious, that your transferred energy is lower than in the silicon example. This value depends on the many factors, e.g. the cross-sectional-area of the system, and of course also the thermal conductance itself. You can try and tune it by changing the parameter "Exchange interval". By decreasing this parameter the transferred energy per time should increase.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 14:16 by Julian Schneider »

Offline karjalag

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Thermal Conductivity Simulation.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:18 »
I should use the method in the link. You are a lifesaver,thank you.