Author Topic: tutorials on the interfaces creation (building MTJ devices)  (Read 3783 times)

Offline marmotte

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Dear QW team,

I'm learning QW since our purchase. I'd like to access to tutorials on how to build interfaces like Fe/MgO/Fe ( we have them already throughout a script and special builder). In fact, I'd like to model MTJ systems such as FeCoB/STO/FeCoB for example. could you show me a general tutorials that I can apply for special cases ?

Thanks in advance  :D

Offline kstokbro

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumWise
Re: tutorials on the interfaces creation (building MTJ devices)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 18:20 »
check out:
http://www.quantumwise.com/documents/tutorials/latest/Fe-MgO-Fe/index.html/

We are working on non-collinear spin and there will be a new tutorial on these aspects.
Let us know if there are aspects in the other tutorial you find missing, then we may add them in the new one.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 14:23 »
For a more general example on how to build an interface, see http://quantumwise.com/publications/tutorials/builder/170-building-a-si-si3n4-interface. But it would perhaps be a good idea to use a similar system that you mentioned as an example of a perhaps slightly simpler interface.

What do you think of the attached system, compared to http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0511663 (Chapter 6)

If you think it makes sense, I can show how I built it!

Offline marmotte

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 14:39 »
Dear Anders,

Thank you very much !

Yes, I will appreciate of you can help me to build CoFeB/STO/CoFeB.

Best regards,

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 14:48 »
Ok, we can look into that. But "CoFeB" is not a trivial crystal structure, it needs to be specified better what is meant precisely.

Offline marmotte

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 15:25 »
It look like an alloy FeCo doped  by B in interstitial position. Please see APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 89, 142507 2006, where  it is reported

" we use the supercell which consists of 11 layers of CoFe and 5 layers of MgO. The in-plane lattice constant is constrained to be that of bulk CoFe, a
=2.84 Å. Due to the lattice mismatch of 5.2%, the MgO is compressed in plane and this induces a volume conserving
tetragonal distortion of the barrier layer perpendicular to the plane of the fil m of about 4%. For the clean interface no B
an equilibrium Fe–O distance of 2.23 Å is found for the Fe terminated interface, while for the Co terminated interface
the Co–O distance is 2.16 Å. Ripples in the interfacial MgO i.e., the displacement of O atoms relative to the Mg atoms in the same atomic layer are less than 0.06 Å for both terminations"