Author Topic: Changing two probe system to 3 terminal device.  (Read 1785 times)

Offline ali.zahir

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Changing two probe system to 3 terminal device.
« on: December 18, 2013, 10:54 »
Dear sir,

Can I change two probe molecular system (for example au_dtb_au_geom) to three terminal device by introducing "metallic Box" in the "central region" ? Is this the right way?

Regards

Ali Zahir

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Changing two probe system to 3 terminal device.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 20:06 »
Technically yes, although you also need to modify the boundary conditions - clearly, the structure is no longer periodic in the direction of the gate.

But if your structure is really like Au-DTB-Au, I don't think it's very physical to try to squeeze in a metallic "gate" the size of a benzene molecule or smaller. A more relevant option might be to add some charge to the molecule (that's basically what the gate does anyway).

Offline ali.zahir

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Changing two probe system to 3 terminal device.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:29 »
But if your structure is really like Au-DTB-Au, I don't think it's very physical to try to squeeze in a metallic "gate" the size of a benzene molecule or smaller. A more relevant option might be to add some charge to the molecule (that's basically what the gate does anyway).

Thank You for your reply.

I will now try the option of adding charge to molecule. but before doing this I have a question. Can we introduce charge in DeviceConfiguration(Two Probe system)? As in two probe system the extra charge in the device region would die out into the electrodes and the net charge would vanish out.

Could you tell me the reference to find procedure for adding charge in two probe system.

Regards and Thanks