Author Topic: Transition Energy of Defect Center  (Read 2784 times)

ANUQO

Transition Energy of Defect Center
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:26 »
Hi all,

I am new to ATK and have the following question:
If a defect center is introduced into a monolayer material one gets typically sub-bandgap states which, in an experiment, can then be measured by Photoluminescence. I would like to calculate which possible transition energies are possible in that system. What would be the best way to do that?

I've started by creating a large nanosheet of hexagonal Boron Nitride and then removed one N atom to introduce a vacancy (just as an example). What I know how to do is calculating the total energy for the system with and without the defect like in the tutorials, but that shouldn't be what I'm looking for (this way I get the formation energy), correct?

Could someone please outline a way how to handle this problem? Also, is there a possibility to calculate the state lifetime?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Tobias

Offline Ulrik G. Vej-Hansen

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Transition Energy of Defect Center
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 13:36 »
You are right that comparing the total energies will give you the formation energy of the defect and not the transition energies you are looking for.

Also, just to be sure - could you take a look at equation 3, and nearby text, in this reference and tell us if this is what you are thinking of when you mention transition energies?

First-principles calculations for point defects in solids
Christoph Freysoldt, Blazej Grabowski, Tilmann Hickel, Jörg Neugebauer, Georg Kresse, Anderson Janotti, and Chris G. Van de Walle
Rev. Mod. Phys. 86, 253 – Published 28 March 2014

ANUQO

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 21:38 »
Thank you very much for the fast reply, but no, that is not what I am looking for. Sorry, I probably have stated my problem unclear.

I am interested in the optical transitions, as described in
First-Principles Optical Spectra for F Centers in MgO
Patrick Rinke, André Schleife, Emmanouil Kioupakis, Anderson Janotti, Claudia Rödl, Friedhelm Bechstedt, Matthias Scheffler, and Chris G. Van de Walle
Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 126404 – Published 20 March 2012

See Figure 4 here. Or also in http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v11/n1/abs/nnano.2015.242.html
See also Figure 4.

Basically I want, when I see a defect center in an experiment, excite it and see the emission spectrum, then I want to compare the energies I see in the emission spectrum with defect simulations to tell what kind of defect center it is. That is exactly what has been done in the last paper.

Offline Ulrik G. Vej-Hansen

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 13:11 »
Thanks for the references, it is now much clearer what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use the approach described in the PRL paper with ATK, as we do not (yet) have implementations of either GW or BSE.

ANUQO

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:10 »
But would something similar be possible with a different approach in ATK?

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:19 »
If you are really interested in accounting for two-particle excitations (excitonic effect), there is no way you can do it with ground state density functional theory. You then need to adopt the BSE approach, which is not implemented in ATK. For very accurate calculations of single-particle excitations, the GW approach is an option, but it is not yet in ATK.

However, you can still calculate the single-particle spectrum, using the LDA or GGA functional, as descried in this tutorial http://docs.quantumwise.com/tutorials/optical/optical.html about absorption spectrum. I think something like this was calculated in one of the papers you have mentioned. I note again that the excitonic shift, which is calculated with the BSE, will be missing in this spectrum. If your material of interest is h-BN, you might get away with the band gap problem of DFT since h-BN has a pretty large gap.

Regarding optical transitions related to the defects, I think you still need to do it in the way Ulrik suggested, see Eq. 3 in that work. It might be useful to have a look at the following paper by Chris G. Van de Walle1 and Jörg Neugebauer  [J. Appl. Phys. 95, 3851 (2004)]; http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1682673, especially, Sec. 7D, where they do discuss thermodynamic transition levels versus optical levels, in particular, related to photoluminescence. That review paper appears to provide useful information how experimental measurements for defects can be interpreted from first-principles calculations.