Author Topic: Calculating Bandstructure of C60 by Atk 11 (recent ver.)  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Twisty

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Hi,
there goes a problem in structuring  fullerene in FCC crystal structure. Steps that I have taken:

1. took fullerene from "database" option
2. then I have made it FCC crystal structure by "Build" option
3. Used ATK-Extended Huckel method for calculating Bandstructure (attached with this post).
4. But it is neither looks like the ref (http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v67/i15/p2045_1) or reliable.

please help me simulate the band structure  of C60 just like Fig 1. of http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v67/i15/p2045_1
« Last Edit: May 3, 2011, 18:26 by Md gaffar »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Calculating Bandstructure of C60 by Atk 11 (recent ver.)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:35 »
I just did a very simplistic calculation, and I get similar results to the PRL mentioned. Now, I didn't really take care about the alignment of the C60 relative to the crystal axes, so the symmetry point are clearly different (we see a direct band gap at our L, which would be their X).

As I said, this was quick-and-dirty; I used the Huckel model, non-selfconsistent. I tried both the Cerda graphite and the Hoffman basis sets, and apart from Cerda being slower, the results are qualitatively very similar.

Now, the really interesting part, at least in a historical perspective, is that the original calculation in the PRL took 6 hours on a pretty serious computer (and they had to stick to 2 k-points or else it would take forever). Mine took 15 seconds (Hoffman basis set) on a simple laptop, with 5x5x5 k-points! :)

If you want to be serious about it, one should do it self-consistently and take care to converge in k-points but also interaction range and mesh cut-off, since this is a rather strange "crystal".

Offline Twisty

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Calculating Bandstructure of C60 by Atk 11 (recent ver.)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32 »
Thanks a lot Prof. Anders Blom.

I have already tried with DFT but it was taking too much time that I have to stop it. However, I think I need to do some atom alignment in the FCC crystal so that its band structure would be similar to the PRL one.

Thanks again sir for your valuable time.