Author Topic: Constrain angle metal/molecule in optimization geometry  (Read 2710 times)

Offline jalmeida

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Hello  :)

Please, I would like to optimize a system surface + molecule while maintaining the angle that the molecule makes with the surface. Is there a way to do it in QuantumATK?

I just found the class BondConstrain, but in that case I also have to constrain the bond length.

Best,
Joseane

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Constrain angle metal/molecule in optimization geometry
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 21:23 »
Not automatically or easily, no. If you want to keep the molecule rigid and in a particular orientation, maybe it is more efficient to scan various positions and record the total energy or forces, and run a manual minimization algorithm on that (like scipy.minimize). However, this requires that you program the geometry setup using a simple parameter like the surface-molecule distance, which is then the (only) parameter.you optimize.

Offline jalmeida

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 15:25 »

Do you mean run the optimization in different angles? I would like to optimize the scattering region as usual but keeping a specific angle (the same from experiment).

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2024, 01:20 »
It's a tricky case since we don't have any angle constraint... It also depends on what we mean by angle, is it for the whole molecule, or a particular bond angle. Either way, I don't have a simple method to suggest.