Author Topic: Brodening in LCAO calculator  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Akash Ramasamy

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Brodening in LCAO calculator
« on: September 23, 2024, 07:21 »
Dear all,
       I have a doubt regarding the default broadening value in the LCAO calculator which is 1000 K. What does it mean?

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Brodening in LCAO calculator
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 13:15 »
The default broadening value of 1000 K typically refers to the temperature used to define the width of the electronic states in energy calculations.

Offline filipr

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Heavy QuantumATK user
  • QuantumATK developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2024, 13:43 »
For general information on "broadening" in DFT: https://docs.quantumatk.com/manual/technicalnotes/occupation_methods/occupation_methods.html

When using a temperature such as 1000K as broadening it is automatically converted to an energy using E = kB T, so for T = 1000 K, E = 0.086 eV.

Offline Akash Ramasamy

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 07:21 »
Thanks for your kind reply. If I change the broadening to 300K, how much change will occur in my results?  and it is correct.

Offline filipr

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Heavy QuantumATK user
  • QuantumATK developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 09:36 »
As explained in the documentation it depends on whether your system is metallic or has a gap (semiconductor or insulator). For gapped systems the broadening should be smaller than the gap and you can in fact set it to something close to zero (like 1e-9). For metals there is no "magic number that suits every situation". For metals the broadening is correlated with the k-point sampling: the denser the k-points, the smaller the broadening you generally need. A broadening is an approximation and a tool to make calculations converge faster, but for accurate results you generally want to have it as small as possible - but that often means you have to increase the k-point sampling increasing the computational cost. What the "best" broadening and k-point sampling is is up to you. I recommend trying to do some convergence studies for a small system similar to what you are actually interested in. Try changing the k-point sampling and the broadening and see how it affects the results.

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 14:39 »
A follow up question on that:
I have a long stanene nanoribbon, and I am optimizing iron-tin cluster on it. My system is large in C direction so I need only few k-points, may be 1 k-point in C direction. So, I needs large broadening value?

This is what I understand from the discussion

Offline filipr

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Heavy QuantumATK user
  • QuantumATK developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2024, 15:59 »
If you look at the second formula in the documentation (how the density is calculated) you will see that it involves an integral over the Brillouin zone. This is turned into a numerical integral, a.k.a. sum weighted by the k-grid volume element dk = Δkx Δky Δkz. The broadening should be chosen proportional to this value. If your system is long along one dimension then the Δk will be small along that direction given a constant k-point density as the Brillouin zone is inversely proportional to the length along that direction: for a cell with perpendicular lattice vectors you have Δk = 2π/(LN), where L is the length of the cell along that direction and N is the number of k-points. If you keep only one k-point along the C direction then the broadening should be proportional to Δkx Δky = (2π)2/(Lx Nx Ly Ny)

As a rule of thumb you can use a broadening of 1000K for metals and 100K for semiconductors and if the metal has a hard time converging you can either 1) increase the k-point sampling (expensive) or 2) increase the broadening (cheap, but reduces quality of results due to artificial smearing)