Author Topic: Puzzle about the I-V characteristics of bilayer graphene compared with monolayer  (Read 19191 times)

Offline mldavidhuang

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
I have done the calculation of bilayer gaphene and monolayer graphene, but I found that the current of bilayer graphene is larger than twice of monolayer graphene when the applied bias is low.(see the attachment)

This is strange because I think in any case the conductivity should be lower than parallel of two monolayer graphene because of interlayer scattering in bilayer system.

So I doubt the accuracy of my calculation, the script is attached, I beg help for checking anything wrong with my setting or is there any question with my assumption for I haven't seen any reference about such phenomenon.

Offline kstokbro

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumWise
You calculation seem technically correct.
The difference you observe must be related to a difference in the zero bias transmission spectrum, thus, I would investigate that in detail.

I think the bilayer graphene will have a different electronic structure compared to the single graphene, since there is an interaction between the two layers.
Thus, you must study and understand the electronic structure of the bilayer graphene

Offline mldavidhuang

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
This is the zero bias transmision spectrum I get from my calculation, actually, I find it hard to understand the transmission spectrum of the bilayer from the band structure.

Offline kstokbro

• View Profile
    • QuantumWise
i think you forgot the attachment

Offline mldavidhuang

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Sorry for that!Here are the attachment

Offline kstokbro

• View Profile
    • QuantumWise
You see that the bilayer bandstructure is quite different from the single graphene bandstructure, this is reason for the different behaviour.

You need to include many more k points in transverse direction to get converged results for the transmission spectrum.

You might consider using user defined k-points around where the bands cross the fermi level.  I attach an example. Note this is just an example showing how it can be done, and you need to determine convergence you self.

Offline mldavidhuang

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Actually, there is something I don't quite understand in your code
Code
    k_min = 0.0
    k_max = 0.02
    k_n = 41

k = numpy.array([(0,x,0) for x in numpy.linspace(k_min,k_max,k_n)])
    w = numpy.array([ 2 -(numpy.linalg.norm(i) == 0) for i  in k])
the k space you define are from (0,0,0) to (0,0.02,0) ,and what does w mean, I see it define as "kpoints_weights=w", this is what you mean by "user-define k-point around where the band cross the fermi level" ? because in my operation of ATK, I haven't met such settings. Could you explain a bit in detail to me ?

Offline kstokbro

• View Profile
    • QuantumWise
This is user specified k-points and corresponding weights. The purpose is to efficiently sample the region around the crossing of the fermi level. Thus, use a more efficient k-point sampling.

However,  you can also just increase the number of k-points in the MonkhorstPackGrid this will be equivalent, however, you will need more k-points.

Offline mldavidhuang

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Generally speaking, is more k-point the better the result? And how to test how much k-point is enough with the combination of accuracy and time-consuming ?

Offline kstokbro

• View Profile
    • QuantumWise
More k points is always better. You must increase the number of k-points until you results do not change any more.

Offline mldavidhuang

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Why the optimized interlayer distance of bi-layer Graphene is 3.08 Angstrom, but the value in other papers is around 3.34 Angstrom, is there anything wrong with my calculation ?

Offline amanpreet

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Hi ,
i have a quick qusetion for you.I am a new user of quantumwise.How to make bilayer or monolayer graphene ,is it done by starting from a graphene sheet(not ribbon) and repition in A direction two times. I want to study effect of graphene bilayer placed on different kind of substrates.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
You can build a larger sheet using the Custom Builder for nanoribbon but select "Sheet" instead of ribbon. This gives a monolayer; for bilayer (and perhaps also monolayer) it's better to start with graphite and repeat as needed in A and B, since there is a shift of coordinates (not just repeat) in the C direction.

Offline amanpreet

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply.I am very much confused about how to decide the number of k points needed as they seemed to be the most important part of the calculation. I want to study effects of graphene layer placed on different kind of substrates(e.g SiC, GaAs, Si). How can we do such kind of epitaxial simulation in quantum wise.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
You need to test the k-points, but you need quite many, maybe 12x12 or 15x15 (in the plane) is a good starting point, then increase and see what happens.

Although it's in Japanese, Google translate can help you perhaps understand a bit of this case study of graphene on SiC: http://quantumwise.co.jp/example/fullerene/full-08.html