Author Topic: Double click VNL and nothing happened (Linux)  (Read 8454 times)

Offline perfetti

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Double click VNL and nothing happened (Linux)
« on: November 30, 2011, 23:05 »
Dear everyone,
         I was running heavy work using Quantum Wise, the atom number is large and I try to adjust the configuration through VNL. However, it dead suddenly and I tried to restart the software. When I tried to open it by double clicking the desktop icon , the vnl cannot open itself. It showed up for 2 seconds and then disappeared. I restarted the computer, reinstalled the software, but it's the same situation.
         I can show you the message showed up after I typed vnl in terminal:
         Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./zipdir/NL/GUI/Main/SplashScreen.py", line 77, in run
  File "./zipdir/NL/GUI/MainWindow/MainWindow.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "./zipdir/NL/GUI/ResultBrowser/ResultViewer.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "./zipdir/NL/GUI/Graphics/Plots/NEB.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "./zipdir/NL/GUI/Graphics/NewPlot2D/NewPlot2D.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "./build/vnl/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 135, in <module>
  File "./build/vnl/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/rcsetup.py", line 19, in <module>
  File "./build/vnl/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/colors.py", line 54, in <module>
  File "./build/vnl/lib/python2.6/site-packages/matplotlib/cbook.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "new.py", line 10, in <module>
    vector_a = [12.7808136486, -1.11022302463e-15, -6.16297582204e-32]*Angstrom
NameError: name 'Angstrom' is not defined

The atkpython command can work well,however.  And I am using ubuntu on a workstation.
Thanks anyone who gives me advice.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Double click VNL and nothing happened (Linux)
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2011, 12:51 »
The problem with double-clicking the VNL icon is probably that you need to log out and back in for the license environment variable to be recognized by the Desktop.

The second issue is perhaps that you try "vnl new.py"? That will not work, you should just start "vnl" without arguments. To run scripts from the command line us "atkpython new.py".

Offline perfetti

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2011, 17:40 »
Dear Blom and others,

1)I did the same thing but still the sam situation.
2) I didn't use vnl new.py. Is that because the splashscreen.py in run? I don't know how to stop this thread.

Thank you.

The problem with double-clicking the VNL icon is probably that you need to log out and back in for the license environment variable to be recognized by the Desktop.

The second issue is perhaps that you try "vnl new.py"? That will not work, you should just start "vnl" without arguments. To run scripts from the command line us "atkpython new.py".

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: December 1, 2011, 19:18 »
So you are saying, after you type "vnl" (and only that) in the terminal, the error messages you showed appear? That makes no sense... what is "new.py"??? Please include a few more details about what precisely you do, then it will be easier to assist.

One thing to note, is that in scripts which are imported in other scripts need to contain the line

from NanoLanguage import *

You could try that, but again, I don't get what new.py is.

Offline perfetti

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 1, 2011, 20:08 »
1. new.py is the file I created for one calculation.
It was the last file I tried to save, so I think that's why it appeared in the recent calls.
And it was beginning with the configuration , so I don't know where should I put the from NanoLanguage import *.

2. I was building a model with a hundreds of atoms, and tried to adjust the configuration via vnl. I changed the eletrode length in custom builder, and send them to the script of check the electrode length. Maybe because the atom number is so large, then screen has some smearing and the image showed up very slow. Then the computer stopped suddenly. And I tried to restart it, but still the same situation. Then I deleted the old software and reinstalled it, and checked the path setting. Everything is fine but the desktop icon still doesn't work.

That's what exactly I did. Thanks .

So you are saying, after you type "vnl" (and only that) in the terminal, the error messages you showed appear? That makes no sense... what is "new.py"??? Please include a few more details about what precisely you do, then it will be easier to assist.

One thing to note, is that in scripts which are imported in other scripts need to contain the line

from NanoLanguage import *

You could try that, but again, I don't get what new.py is.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2011, 20:18 by perfetti »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #5 on: December 1, 2011, 23:19 »
Ok, let's take this step by step :)

Let's first make sure you can start VNL.

1. If you just type "vnl" in a terminal, does it start?

2. You say the desktop icon doesn't work even if you logged out and in again? (I mean log out of the entire Linux session, or even reboot the machine.) I can't explain that, seems the license environment variables are messed up in .profile then... But as long as 1) works, let's be happy for the moment.

3. We know VNL is too slow in terms of graphical performance, it will be fixed in 12.2. For now, make sure you have 3D acceleration turned on for your graphics card, otherwise it will be even worse than it has to be. Make sure you have the latest vendor driver, NOT the regular MESA drivers.

4. So, what exactly did you do to make the error message appear?