Author Topic: FAQ: Unable to resolve GL/GLX symbols (and/or Xmu symbols)  (Read 17294 times)

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
It is quite common, on several different different Linux distributions, to encounter the following error message when you launch VNL after installing it:
Unable to resolve GL/GLX symbols - please check your GL library installation.
The solution is relatively simple. Locate the library libGL.so. To do this, give the command (as root, in /)
Code
find -iname libGL.so*
Most likely this returns something like
./usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 ./usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2 ./usr/lib/libGL.so.1 ./usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
What we need to do, is link VNL to the 32-bit libGL.so.1 library. Go to the lib directory in the VNL installation, and give the command
Code
ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 libGL.so
In many cases, this will not be sufficient to resolve the problem entirely, however. When you again try to launch VNL, you may now instead get the error message
Unable to resolve Xmu symbols - please check your Xmu library installation.
The solution is similar. Locate the library libXmu.so by giving the command (as root, in /)
Code
find -iname libXmu.so*
Most likely this returns something like
./usr/lib64/libXmu.so.6.2.0 ./usr/lib64/libXmu.so.6 ./usr/lib/libXmu.so.6.2.0 ./usr/lib/libXmu.so.6
What we need to do, is link VNL to the 32-bit libXmu.so.6 library. Go to the lib directory in the VNL installation, and give the command (if a link/file libXmu.so already exists in this folder, remove it first)
Code
ln -s /usr/lib/libXmu.so.6 libXmu.so

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
RHEL 5 x86_64
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 16:29 »
On the 64-bit edition of RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, there are sometimes no 32-bit Xmu libraries installed. In that case, the above will not help (you still get the Xmu error), and to solve it you need to download and install a compatibility library containing libXmu.so in a 32-bit version.
Code
rpm --install compat-libs-5.2-2.i386.rpm
  • Search for the library libXmu.so (as root in /):
Code
find -iname libXmu.so*
This should return something like
./usr/lib64/libXmu.so.6 ./usr/lib64/libXmu.so.6.2.0 ./usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/libXmu.so.6 ./usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/libXmu.so.6.0 ./usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/libXmu.so
  • Go to the folder lib in the VNL installation directory
  • Create a symbolic link to the identified libXmu.so.6.0 library (if a libXmu.so file exist in the lib folder, remove it first):
Code
ln -s /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/libXmu.so.6.0 libXmu.so.6
  • Create an additional symbolic link libXmu.so (as both libXmu.so and libXmu.so.6 is needed):
Code
ln -s /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib/libXmu.so.6.0 libXmu.so