Author Topic: Discrepency in Effective mass calculation  (Read 3403 times)

Offline PR

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Discrepency in Effective mass calculation
« on: May 28, 2015, 10:50 »
Hello,
I am calculating the effective mass (ml and mt) for InAs bulk in Gamma and L valleys, using both of the two methods given in ATK 2014.2 version. The values in Gamma valley is quite close to the literature [1], but for L valley there is a discrepency in values.
Direction used :  [111] for ml and [-110] for mt for L valley.
Methods for effective mass calculation:
(1) Effective mass analyzer under tools tab is giving  ml = 1.827  and mt=0.121.
(2) Effective mass calculating directly from plugin given at bottom right corner in the band structure plot window is giving  ml=0.609 and mt=0.305.
While the values are ml = 0.64 and mt = 0.05  in literature [1]

Can you please tell me why the tool is giving different results with different effetive mass analyzers and which one is more reliable.
Also, why the values are not consistent with literatre. Where I am doing mistake or what  should I change to get the correct results.
Attaching the python script of the calculations.
Reference:
[1] I. Vurgaftman, J. R. Meyer and L. R. Ram-Mohan "Band parameters for III–V compound semiconductors and their alloys" J. Appl. Phys. 89 5815 (2001)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:02 by PR »

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Discrepency in Effective mass calculation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 16:41 »
Hi,

1) I ran your script and find that both of the methods that you list (effective mass analysis object vs. effective mass from the band structure analysis tool) gives identical effective masses (1.827 and 0.121). Perhaps you did not specify the correct directions in method 2?

2) The values you mention for comparison (0.64 and 0.05) appear to be experimental values. It is very hard for theory to get the X and L valleys correct wrt. to experiments. Even though you fit the TB09LDA c-parameter to experimental Gamma-point band gaps and/or effective mass, the same quantities in the X and L points are not guaranteed to be correct. According to  https://engineering.purdue.edu/gekcogrp/publications/pubs_src/DOC119_e125207.pdf, the target theoretical value of the longitudinal effective mass at L is 1.90, which is not much different than the 1.83 you find with ATK.

Offline Forum Administrator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:04 »
One should be a bit careful with Vurgatfman's paper. If you read carefully the notes (always do that!) about the L masses in InAs, you will find that they are neither experimental nor computed, but "guesstimated" from the DOS effective mass.

That said, 1.8 is very high, so indeed the curvature is not very accurate with the basis set you use (did you try other ones?).

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:29 »
FHI-DZP and OMX tier0 and tier1 basis sets seem to agree pretty well wrt. the curvatures for InAS.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 18:21 by Jess Wellendorff »

Offline PR

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 17:41 »
Thank you all for your replies.
@ Admin, I have not tried for other basis sets, but as suggested by Jess Wellendorff, I will try FHI DZP and OMX tier basis sets.

Regards
PR.

Offline PR

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 18:48 »
================================
For the X valley of bulk InAs:
values obtained using ATK: ml=mt=0.37, the value doesn't change on changing the direction ([010] for ml and directions perpendicular to it for mt), suggesting a isotropic mass, which is wrong!
This is also in contrast with the data (target values: mt=0.23, ml=1.3) in the reference cited in your reply (Boykin et. al, PRB 2002).
Could you please calculate at your end let me know the values you are getting?

Thanks.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 20:55 »
The X point in fcc is at 101 in fractional coordinates, so that's the direction you need for mL. So it's actually mT which is 010.

Offline PR

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 10:18 »
I have again calculated the effective mass values for X valley in [101]  direction for ml and getting value of ml = 52.0858 and in [010] for mt= 0.375864.
Here ml is again questionable. It would be helpful if anyone can tell me now where I am doing wrong for ml calculation.

Thanks
PR

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2015, 13:45 »
Did you try using the HGH pseudopotentials (as in this tutorial: http://quantumwise.com/documents/tutorials/latest/InAs-2D/index.html/chap.bulk.html) and optimize the metaGGA c-parameter wrt. description of the X valley instead of the Gamma valley?