Author Topic: Dij for 1D ribbon....  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Dipankar Saha

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Dij for 1D ribbon....
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:11 »
Hello,
I wanted to know_
Sometimes, while finding Tph for a nano ribbon...it is  suggested to go with the Dij having a,b,c ~ 1x1x1  (custom)..../ What does this 1x1x1 mean? { I wanted to mean that... how the cell gets repeated and perturbed in that case? }

Thanks in advance ... :)
Best_
Dipankar
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:14 by Dipankar Saha »

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Dij for 1D ribbon....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 15:21 »
What do you mean "it is suggested" ?

A repetition of 1x1x1  for the DynamicalMatrix calculation means no repetition at all. There should never be any repetition along non-periodic directions. This means that:
a) For 1D devices like nanotubes and nanoribbons, the repetition should be 1x1x1.
b) For 2D devices, like nanosheets that are periodic along B, the repetition should be 1 x N x 1, where N = 3 or 5 or 7 or 9, etc.
c) For 3D devices, which are periodic along both A and B, the repetition should be N x M x 1.

Note that the "automatic" repetition option sometimes selects repetition > 1 along non-periodic directions. This happens when the distance to the supercell side along that direction is relatively small. In that case. Manually set the repetition. That is the correct approach, and also saves considerable computational time.

Finally, for phonon calculations on bulk configurations (not devices) the repetition should usually  be non-zero along all directions: N x M x K.

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
Re: Dij for 1D ribbon....
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 15:40 »

Perhaps, you also said the same thing (point (a)  ).....what that I was telling.... and can be found from a previous discussion too__
http://quantumwise.com/forum/index.php?topic=3447.15

Best_
Dipankar