Author Topic: MD simulation of vapor-deposition of metallic multilayer  (Read 2609 times)

Offline baizq

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Dear All,

I recently saw a paper (PRB 69, 144113 (2004)) which describes an MD simulation (using EAM potential) of vapor-deposition of CoFe/NiFe/CoFe multilayer on a Cu substrate. The main idea is to throw "hot" atoms onto the substrate at a specific rate, and let MD to determine the final position of the atoms.

This is an old work published more than 10 years ago. Just wondering whether/how we are able to model this with ATK.

Thanks,
baizq

Offline baizq

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MD simulation of vapor-deposition of metallic multilayer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36 »
To answer my own question....I have found a nice tutorial here....

http://docs.quantumwise.com/tutorials/deposition.html

As it is also mentioned in the tutorial that "The exact modified embedded atom model (MEAM) potential used in Ref. [1] is currently not available in VNL-ATK. Instead, you will use a Tersoff potential, which, unfortunately, will not produce the crystalline layers shown in the reference paper.", I am still expecting the MEAM to be implemented....

baizq

Offline Julian Schneider

• QuantumATK Staff
  • QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:28 »
The EAM potential used in the PRB paper you mention, is already implemented as EAM_Zhou_2004 .
The modified EAM (MEAM) potential will hopefully be implemented soon.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:52 by Julian Schneider »

Offline baizq

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2016, 01:20 »
Hi Julian and All,

Thanks for the reply, Julian. I have read that PRB paper and also know the potential is already implemented as EAM_Zhou_2004 in ATK.

I am trying to simulate a similar growth process of a bilayer metal stack. The bottom layer is XY:Z (XY is a binary metallic alloy, where 10% X is randomly substituted by metal element Z), whereas the upper layer is pure XY. In experiment, we heat up the bottom layer XY:Z to around 500 K and grow the upper layer XY on top of it. It has been observed that significant amount of Z diffuse from the bottom layer into deep upper layer upon PVD growth. The diffusion is not observed in room temperature. We would like to understand the temperature effect on such growth and interdiffusion.

I am not an MD expert. Just keen to know whether  EAM_Zhou_2004 (all X, Y, Z elements are availaibe in this EAM potential ) or any other potentials available can be used to simulate the growth and interdiffusion process. Should we couple the bottom-layer of XY:Z to a Nose-Hoover chain thermostat of 500K, and leave the deposited atom in an NVE ensemble? I tried a similar calculation that grows amorphous carbon onto a diamond carbon template and did not see any diffusion of atom from "substrate" into the deposited layer. I am just worrying whether Z in XY:Z substrate would diffuse or not.

Any suggestion or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

baizq
« Last Edit: March 8, 2016, 02:02 by baizq »

Offline Julian Schneider

• QuantumATK Staff
  • QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 17:02 »
The mixing of elements in EAM potentials is generally pretty good, although it always depends  on the particular element and potential. I don't see any principle reason why the EAM_Zhou_2004 should not not be suited to model the diffusion in such an array. But without knowing the exact elements, I would suggest that you make some benchmark calculations on a small test system against DFT, to see whether it works sufficiently well for your elements.  In general, EAM should be a lot better than Tersoff to simulate diffusion, as Tersoff (e.g., used for Carbon) can have unphysically large bond-breaking-barriers.

Yes, the approach to simulate diffusion into the deposited layer would be to couple the substrate to a thermostat and simulate the deposited atoms in NVE, as described in the vapor deposition tutorial.
If you don't see any diffusion into the deposited layer during the deposition simulation, you could separate the deposition and diffusion simulation, meaning that you stop the deposition when the layer has reached a sufficient thickness, and then you set up a constant temperature simulation where you couple the entire surface to a thermostat and run it for a long time.
However, practically, the time scale of MD might still be too short if the diffusion process is associated with high barriers. In that case you could try an adaptive kinetic Monte Simulation (AKMC).