Author Topic: Restarting a device configuration  (Read 1914 times)

Offline ATK-user-zuox

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Restarting a device configuration
« on: March 22, 2016, 06:28 »
hello,quantumwise staff : 1.i also met the restarting problems ,here is my confusion:    there are so many verisions of restart a bias dependent calculation ,but i can't get the uniform answer about it ,there is basically two answers  in the forum :    first solution ,
Code
# -------------------------------------------------------------
# IV Curve
# -------------------------------------------------------------
calculator=device_configuration.calculator()
device_configuration = nlread("ivcurve_selfconsistent_configurations_bias_0.nc",)[0]
     second solution,
Code
device_configuration.setCalculator(calculator)
nlprint(device_configuration)
device_configuration = nlread("ivcurve_selfconsistent_configurations_bias_0.nc")[0]
device_configuration.update(force_restart=True)
nlsave('CONFIG.nc', device_configuration)
            I don't know  the accuracy and differences between these two solutions  and in the
Code
 nlread("ivcurve_selfconsistent_configurations_bias_0.nc")[0]
,what is the exact meaning of
  • and [-1],or when should i use
  • and [-1],what is the exact meaning of 
    Code
    force_restart=True
    . 2.i am also very confused about the restarting procedure ,can you explain about it ?In another posthttp://quantumwise.com/forum/index.php?topic=1374.msg6752#msg6752 ,it tells me that the restarting procedure includes these steps : 1.) read Electrode 2.) read checkpoint-file  (== equiv. bulk) 3.) create Device from equiv. Bulk and electrodes 4.) attach a new device calculator 5.) update  Hope you can give us a detailed description of the equiv bulk and the  restarting procedure .

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting a device configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 06:29 »
It depends on how much information has been saved in your previous calculations.

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting a device configuration
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 17:20 »
1. There is no straight-forward way to restart an IVCurve calculation that was interrupted. This is because what the analysis really does is to run a range of SCF calculations followed by TransmissionSpectrum analysis. A rather complex operation that requires restarting from previous finite-bias calculations in order to ease convergence. A restart scheme for this is much more complicated than it may appear. In general, however, you can always start an analysis from the zero-bias calculations, e.g.
Code
device_configuration = nlread("ivcurve_selfconsistent_configurations_bias_0.nc")[0]
where "[ 0 ]" means that you want the first item saved in the file, in this case the zero-bias calculation. 2. Checkpoint files should be used only a last resort. Restarting from the saved zero-bias calculation is a more transparent approach.