Author Topic: Width variation of phosphorene and energy gap  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Adila

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Width variation of phosphorene and energy gap
« on: March 25, 2016, 06:44 »
Dear all,

I had varied the width of phosphorene by changing the repetition number in b or c direction. However, the energy band gap does not change. Supposedly, according to other published papers, the energy band gap decreases as the width increases. Anyone know what is wrong?

Thank you in advanced for your response.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:39 by Adila »

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Width variation of phosphorene and energy gap
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 12:12 »
What you have calculated may be just the different size of repeated unit cells of phosphorene. So you obtained the same band gaps in all these calculations.

You should increase the atomic layers of phosphorene.    Suppose the phosphorene layer is placed in the xy plane,  you should increase the number atomic layers along the z direction (Note: this doesn't mean that you increase the repetition number of unit cell along z direction), that is, put more atomic layers of phosphorene in the unit cell whose a and b are unchanged. If the vacuum thickness is kept same, the lattice constant c will increase because the number of atomic layers is increased.

Offline Adila

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:38 »
Dear zh,

First of all, thank you for your reply. If I am supposed to increase the number of atomic layer of phosphorene, does it mean that I am increasing its thickness? If that is so, it means that I am changing the thickness, not the width. Am I wrong?

However, I will try according to your suggestion.

Thank you.  :)

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:45 »
"increase the number of atomic layer of phosphorene"  = "increase the thickness of phosphorene".