Author Topic: Thermoelectric properties for bulk fcc  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Shan

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Thermoelectric properties for bulk fcc
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:33 »
Hello QW team...

I am trying to calculate the thermoelectric properties of BN (bulk FCC) structure. I went though the tutorial  https://quantumwise.com/documents/tutorials/latest/Phonon/index.html/chap.thermoelectric.html

However, to calculate these properties using this tutorial, phonon transmission spectrum and transmission spectrum are needed. Which i couldn't find in the script generator when i added BN bulk crystal.

Please tell me how can i calculate the thermoelectric properties for this bulk material.

Thank you very much for ur time...  and Wish you a wonderful day.

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Thermoelectric properties for bulk fcc
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 09:42 »
Phonon transmission and electronic transmission are both transport quantities, so you need to set up a device configuration. Did you do this, or did you stick to the bulk BN structure?

Offline Shan

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 12:41 »
I am not interested in device part for now... I stuck to the bulk part sir.

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:48 »
For thermoelectric transport properties, you need the electron and phonon transmission spectra, and for those calculations you really do need to consider a device with electrodes instead of just a bulk.

Offline quanta

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2016, 14:06 »
Is there any quick tutorial for creating a device from bulk BN?

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 13:15 »
I guess you may want calculating the thermoelectric properties for a particular crystallographic direction(s). If you go through the following tutorial, http://docs.quantumwise.com/tutorials/ag_au_interface.html?highlight=device, you will then be able to build any device of your interest for bulk fcc-BN, including BN-based devices with metal electrodes.

To study the properties of pure bulk BN, one may just use BN for the right and left electrode, meaning that you study an imaginary BN-BN "interface" instead of a real interface such as the Ag-Au interface discussed in the tutorial.

Note that you do not need to follow the tutorial straightforwardly as you may build this kind device in the Builder by adding bulk fcc-BN from the Database to Stash, and then use Builders -> Surface (Cleave) (choose the desired crystallographic direction) ->  Define surface lattice (keep it as it is) -> Finalize output configuration (set thickness to what you need to have two BN electrodes and central region of BN) -> Finish, and then use Device from Bulk as discussed in the Ag-Au tutorial.