Author Topic: How can we define a nonorthogonal BoxRegion ?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline zhangguangping

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
How can we define a nonorthogonal BoxRegion ?
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:13 »
Dear all, I now have been learning using the BoxRegion in ATK, which can used to simulate the gate voltage etc. However, I find the region box only can be defined to a rectangle one by specify the
Code
xmin, xmax,
ymin, ymax,
zmin, zmax
Since the lattice vector of the electrode usually not orthogonal in xy plane, such as
Code
vector_a = [8.65127, 0.0, 0.0]*Angstrom
vector_b = [-4.32564, 7.49222, 0.0]*Angstrom
vector_c = [0.0, 0.0, 7.06373620597]*Angstrom
 so a rectangle box usually does not match the unit cell in the xy plane. Is there a method that like vector specfication to define the RegionBox which could easily solve this problem. With best regards, Guangping Zhang

Offline Daniele Stradi

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: How can we define a nonorthogonal BoxRegion ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:42 »
Dear Guangping,

in principle the fact that the a rectangle box usually does not match the unit cell in the xy plane is not a problem. You just have to ensure that the rectangle box is larger than the unit cell in the xy plane itself. See for example the tutorial:

http://quantumwise.com/publications/tutorials/item/512-opening-a-band-gap-in-silicene-and-bilayer-graphene-with-an-electric-field

The Poisson equation will be calculated taking into account only the part of the rectangle box within the unit cell.

Regards,
Daniele.

Offline zhangguangping

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How can we define a nonorthogonal BoxRegion ?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 04:02 »
Dear Daniele,

Thanks for your reply. I see your point. If the rectangle box large enough in one direction of AB plane, then the periodical boundary will extend the rectangle box to an infinite slab.

Thanks so much for your kind reply.