Author Topic: device bandstructure  (Read 2284 times)

Offline xiaolight

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
device bandstructure
« on: June 14, 2017, 20:51 »
The professor asks me to plot the band structure of the device (Fecl2-MoS2-FeCl2) and asks me to make the vacuum level uniform.I am a little bit confused that what does 'making the vacuum level uniform' mean.Does it mean that I have to adjust the vacuum of the FeCl2 region and MoS2 region because of the different work function? If so, how can I do that? I have also done the effective potential calculation. Does it help?  The configuration of the device and the effective potential are posted below.

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: device bandstructure
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59 »
Sounds like you need to ask your professor exactly what he means.

Offline Parveen

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2017, 08:39 »
Is it possible to plot band-structure diagram for devices with the help of VNL-ATK? I'm using 2014.3 version and didn't find any analyser for band-structure.

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2017, 09:42 »
Strictly-speaking, the band structure is uniquely defined for a perfectly-periodic crystal structure only; this is why there is no band structure analyzer for device configuration.

I guess the band diagram you are referring to is that given by the Hartree Difference Potential (HDP) as discussed in the following tutorial http://docs.quantumwise.com/casestudies/ag_si_interface/ag_si_interface.html. So, you will need to compute the HDP for your device structure, and the HDP curve can then be considered as a visualization for how the conduction (valence) band minimum (maximum) changes across the device.

In the vacuum, the HDP goes to a constant that defines the vacuum level, and you can calculate the Fermi energy with respect to this level.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 10:01 by Petr Khomyakov »