Author Topic: Fermi level not midgap in semiconductor nanowire  (Read 2245 times)

Offline F. Fuchs

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Fermi level not midgap in semiconductor nanowire
« on: August 9, 2017, 13:10 »
Dear ATK-experts,

I calculated the band structure of a couple of silicon nanowires (SiNWs) using DFT and the meta-GGA potential by Tran and Blaha with ATK 15.1.
For one single SiNW I observed that the Fermi energy E_F is not located in the center of the band gap. I tried to change some settings and finally realized that this depends on the k-point sampling.
Attached you can find the band structures for 51, 52, and 53 k-points in the direction of the wire (1 k-point in the other directions). For 52 k-points, E_F is located in the center. For 51 k-points it is close to the valence band and for 53 k-points it is close to the conduction band. I tried 31 k-points and 61 k-points and for those values, E_F is also in the middle of the band gap. (*)
I did not observe this behavior for the GGA functional (51 k-points). But when using the meta-GGA potential, E_F is also not centered for different tolerance values in the IterationControlParameters or different c-parameters (I varied these values for 51 k-points). The non-centered E_F also appeared before and after the relaxation of the SiNW. For all other SiNW under study, E_F was centered in the band gap.

Any idea what could be the reason of this? It is probably not very critical, because the band structure itself does not change at all for 50+ k-points. But it is still very puzzling.

The corresponding python-script is attached.

Thank you very much.

(*) I similar problem was discussed in http://quantumwise.com/forum/index.php?topic=3006.0 (even though they used ATK 14) and the problem could be solved with an odd number of k-points. In my case however, the problem seems to appear mainly for odd k-points.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2017, 13:14 by F. Fuchs »

Offline Daniele Stradi

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Fermi level not midgap in semiconductor nanowire
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11 »
Hi,

This oscillatory behavior means that the chemical potential is not yet converged with respect to the number of k-points. You may need many more k-points in the C direction, since the determination of the chemical potential becomes increasingly difficult as the band-gap increases. This is why you did not observe this behavior using GGA, which predicts a smaller band-gap.

I suggest you to check your results up using 401 k-points at least.

Regards,
Daniele

Offline F. Fuchs

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:24 »
Thank you for your answer.

I tried to increase the number of k-points further (up to 3001). In the attached image you can find a plot of the location of band edges versus the number of k-points in z-direction (red squares mean that an even number of k-points was used). One can see that this oscillatory behavior is also present at the highest k-point number under study.

It looks like it will never converge...

What can cause this strange behavior?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:34 by F. Fuchs »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13 »
TB09 and vacuum are not really friends, although I haven't come across this kind of issues before...

If you are concerned about a correct gap for a Si nanowire, I suggest trying the new DFT+1/2 or "PPS" pseudopotentials in ATK 2017, and let's hope these problems will not be present.