Author Topic: "unrealistic" relaxation of H2O molecules  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
"unrealistic" relaxation of H2O molecules
« on: October 4, 2017, 09:26 »
Dear all

I am trying to relax a MOF (metal-organic framework) in presence of water molecules.
According to my colleagues chemist H2O should stay ontop (above and below) of the metallic atoms of the MOF.
However during the relaxation process with  ATK H2Omolecules  lays down on the MOF and starts forming H bonds with the Oxygens of the MOF.

Is there a reason for this behavior? Is there a way to cure this "problem"?

Thanks in advance

Cyrille

PS: here is a link towards my py and nc file
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hjonz6hda1ocw5i/AADjfebjuHydbic8iovJIyBba?dl=0

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: "unrealistic" relaxation of H2O molecules
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2017, 10:50 »
Do you refer to experimental results on this system or some calculations done by your colleges? I also see that you are using +U method. It might be that relaxation is sensitive to the choice of the U parameter value. How did you determine this parameter for your system of study?

Offline Cyrille

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2017, 11:05 »
Dear Petr

I refer to some "chemist know-how". Not being a chemist myself I have to follow the instinct of people with a longer knowledge in the domain:-)

I have added a U because it seems to be necessary for these systems. However the relaxed configuration is the same without U!

Cyrille

Offline Daniele Stradi

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2017, 11:15 »
Hi Cyrille,

I think that the two H2O molecules (i.e. the axial ligands) should stay oriented along the C axis only if the complex formed with the Co atom is octahedral. As far as I can see, the ligand field (i.e. the spatial distribution of coordinating ligands around the Co atom) in your system is not perfectly octahedral. This might drive your system away from an equilibrium geometry in which the two H2O molecules are axially oriented. Another possibility, is that the U that you are using is inappropriate and does not favor octahedral coordination of the ligands.

There could be two things that could be done to improve the situation:

1) I would first try to see if the U parameter that you are using is suitable to describe an octahedral complex. I would construct a Co(H2O)6 molecular complex, in which the 6 H2O molecules are coordinated in octahedral geometry (C-Co-C angles should be 120 degrees). If the U parameter that you are using is appropriate to describe an octahedral complex, then this octahedral complex should be stable upon geometry optimization. I would also try to distort this complex in the equatorial position, so that the angles resemble those that the Co atom has with the organic ligands in the 2D MOF, and relax it to see if it recovers an octahedral geometry.

2) I would try to start the optimization of the 2D MOF from a geometry where the coordination sphere around the ligand is perfectly octahedral. This means that the angles between four equatorial C-Co-C ligands should be perfectly 120 degrees.

Regards,
Daniele.

Offline Cyrille

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2017, 11:30 »
Thanks a lot Daniele

I thought that the system should find its  minimum quite "naturally" .
But it seems that it is more tricky than I thought.

I will do some extra checks/tests...

Cyrille