Author Topic: what license i need to run a simulation in 4 servers  (Read 6129 times)

Offline dhurba

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
I am running ATK in a 8 core server ..now three other server has come to my lab all are 8 cores ie total of 32 cores...

my license are

[2011-12-19 16:43:10] atksemaster (v11.Cool (1 license(s)) license type: exclusive
[2011-12-19 16:43:10] atkseslave (v11.Cool (3 license(s)) license type: exclusive
[2011-12-19 16:43:10] vnl (v11.Cool (1 license(s)) license type: exclusive

Is it possible to use all the four servers to full potential. what is core based license and workstation based license

doesn't 3 slave license can accommodate 3 servers ..or other extra license is required..

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: what license i need to run a simulation in 4 servers
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2012, 09:47 »
3 slaves is a perfect license to run in parallel on this setup.

Offline dhurba

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2012, 11:57 »
3 slaves is a perfect license to run in parallel on this setup.

someone told that 1 slave is needed for 1 core.

ie 4 servers*8 core=32 core =32 slaves  :(

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2012, 12:30 »
Slave licenses have nothing to do with cores, in principle.

Slave licenses are used by ATK to submit multiple MPI processes. Having N slave licenses allows you to run an calculation parallelized over N+1 (the master is also used) processes, using a command like "mpiexec -n N+1". If you choose to run all these processes on the same computer (using the cores as processors), or on different computers, is up to you, and is not dependent on the licenses you have.

If you submit the N+1 processors on different machines, ATK can additionally thread over the cores, but you don't need any extra licenses for that. This offers the best performance possible with ATK; running more MPI processes than sockets on the same machine is not advisable.

In the future ATK will become memory-parallel, and that will change the picture a bit, and make running multiple MPI processes on the same computer more efficient.

Offline Nayab Shiraz

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 18:46 »
In general, how do we decide how many slave licenses are needed per master? We have quantumwise 13.8.1 in our lab and are upgrading to the latest version.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 21:31 »
When you discuss the upgrade with your account manager at Synopsys, you will find that our packaging has changed since ver 13.8, such that this question is not so relevant anymore from the price perspective.
But anyway, the calculations typically scale to 100 per master or more, with an optimum around 40-60 (although it's extremely dependent on the type of system you run).