Author Topic: IV curve calculation did not converge after 0.4v bias  (Read 3408 times)

Offline alokrs

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
I am trying to calculate IV curve fore MTJ .  The calculation is not converging after bias of 0.4V. I have used DZP basis set for all the elements and have kept damping factor to 0.05.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:07 by alokrs »

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: IV curve calculation did not converge after 0.4v bias
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 09:56 »
Please take a look at the following 2 guides:
https://docs.quantumwise.com/technicalnotes/negf_convergence_guide/negf_convergence_guide.html
https://docs.quantumwise.com/technicalnotes/spin_polarized_negf_convergence_guide/spin_polarized_negf_convergence_guide.html.

In addition to that, since you have decreased a damping factor value, you should also consider reducing the history steps to something like 12. I would also suggest increasing the k-point sampling, e.g., to na=18, nb=10, nc=300 or whatever. You may also need to do calculations with smaller voltage step, not 0.1 V as it is now, but something like 0.05 V.

You may also use IVCharacteristics study object (note this is only available in the recent QATK versions) for doing IVCharacteristics calculations: docs.quantumatk.com/manual/Types/IVCharacteristics/
docs.quantumatk.com/tutorials/ivcharacteristics/ivcharacteristics.html

This study object has many convenient restart options when you do device calculations.

Offline alokrs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54 »
As suggested by you, I tried K-point= 18, 10 and 300, damping factor 0.05, history steps 12 and equivalent bulk method. The calculation for zero bias converged in 115 steps, 0.05 V in 36 steps, but for bias 0.1V it didn't converge to the requested tolerance of 1E-05 in 200 steps.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:04 by alokrs »

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2019, 08:41 »
It would be helpful to see the log files for this calculation. Note that if k-point sampling is not the cause for slow convergence, you may now reduce it; I would however still keep nc at 300. 

Offline alokrs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2019, 11:38 »
I guess it's the num_histoty_steps that is creating problem in convergence, I reduced the k-point to na=13, nb=7, and nc=141 and num_history_steps=12. The zero bias calculation converged in 147 steps, but 0.05V, 0.3V, 0.35V, 0.4V bias doesn't converge to the requested tolerance of 1E-06 in 200 steps. The detailed log file is attached

../ivcurve_0.10000V.log:| Calculation Converged in 165 steps                                           |
../ivcurve_0.15000V.log:| Calculation Converged in 116 steps                                           |
../ivcurve_0.20000V.log:| Calculation Converged in 123 steps                                           |
../ivcurve_0.25000V.log:| Calculation Converged in 91 steps                                            |
../trans_195612.log:| Calculation Converged in 21 steps                                            |
../trans_195612.log:| Calculation Converged in 45 steps                                            |
../trans_195612.log:| Calculation Converged in 147 steps

ivcurve_0.05000V.log:# Warning: The calculation did not converge to the requested tolerance!        #
ivcurve_0.30000V.log:# Warning: The calculation did not converge to the requested tolerance!        #
ivcurve_0.35000V.log:# Warning: The calculation did not converge to the requested tolerance!        #
ivcurve_0.40000V.log:# Warning: The calculation did not converge to the requested tolerance!        #

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:05 by alokrs »

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:20 »
Did you try other tricks (different pseudopotential/basis set, different Poisson solver, e.g., PCG) suggested in these guides?
https://docs.quantumwise.com/technicalnotes/negf_convergence_guide/negf_convergence_guide.html
https://docs.quantumwise.com/technicalnotes/spin_polarized_negf_convergence_guide/spin_polarized_negf_convergence_guide.html.

Actually, in the latter guide, the example system is Fe-based MTJ. What about trying to adopt similar computational settings to see if that would work for your Fe-based MTJ?