Author Topic: Optimization issue with mos2  (Read 2974 times)

Offline hsuya

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Optimization issue with mos2
« on: October 29, 2019, 09:36 »
I am trying to optimize mos2 monolayer using LCAO however the resulting structure has S-S bond formation. Can you suggest why this is happening and what is the alternative?

Offline hsuya

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Optimization issue with mos2
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:39 »
the log file for the above is not getting uploaded so please check this link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m7OKuPCVioAQDdNRxNLZAE4Aepml2s7J

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:36 »
Why do you think this reconstruction at the edge should not have happened? Your structure does not look like a monolayer, but rather as a narrow nanoribbon. That means there exist 2 edges, and reconstruction is an edge effect I suppose. I would guess that reconstruction may also depend on the initial structure assumed for your ribbon edges.   As you may see the 2 edges of the ribbon are actually different, and reconstruct in a different manner.

Offline hsuya

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 12:10 »
Okay I might have created the initial structure in the wrong way. Also do I have to maintain the b/a and c/a ratio in the lattice parameter for this or will it come to proper values after optimization.

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 15:47 »
Your structure looks like a 2D quantum dot, i.e., it is no longer a periodic crystal as such. I do not think c/a ratio matters for that.  What matters is vacuum padding around the dot and the boundary conditions for the 6 facets of the simulation cell. I would recommend using non-periodic boundary conditions to avoid interaction between the image cells. 

Offline hsuya

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 18:05 »
okay I will try. Actually I am trying to do geometry optimization of a mos2 4x4x1 supercell and I am stuck for past 10 days. Don't know what to do next nothing is working. I have tried few methods as reported in literature :(

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 23:09 »
Strictly-speaking, your structure does not look like 4x4 MoS2 supercell. The question is whether you want to study infinite 2D sheet with 4x4 supercell or 2D quantum dot built from the 4x4 supercell?

Offline hsuya

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 23:44 »
I am sorry...after listening to you I realized my structure was not correct. This is what I am working on.