Author Topic: Electrostatic Doping  (Read 1559 times)

Offline chitrapandy

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Electrostatic Doping
« on: June 14, 2021, 03:46 »
I have generated the p+n+ diode structure with i-layer and  the doping in the n+ and p+ region with doping concentration of 2×10+20 /cm3.
The doping is considered as electrostatic doping like extra charge is added on atom .
My question is how it consistent with the normal doping( using conventional dopants like P & B)?
Is this kind of doping really forms depletion region like conventional dopant ?
Can anyone give the clarity on this?
Thank you

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Electrostatic Doping
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 22:49 »
The implicit or electrostatic doping as you put it is similar to explicit actual dopant atoms in that results in a similar shift of the Fermi level, which in turn is a result of charge redistribution, so yes it should be able to describe the depletion region. It does not however, naturally, add any dopant scattering as real dopants would, but if that is not a major concern (and other effects like dopant clustering or position-dependent effects) then I would say that the electrostatic doping provides a physically equivalent picture as real dopants, but with major benefits such as the ability to handle any (and in particular low) concentration without making enormous supercells plus also the possibility to use semi-empirical methods which do not have parameters for the dopant atoms.