Author Topic: Error: Terminal Server remote client not allowed.  (Read 36694 times)

Offline ugglebot

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Error: Terminal Server remote client not allowed.
« on: January 20, 2009, 00:41 »
Hi,

I get this error message when I try to use ATK at home via a remote login to my university account.

ERROR: license feature checkout failed: Terminal Server remote client not allowed.
Feature:       VNL
License path:  C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\license.lic
FLEXnet Licensing error:-103,577
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing End User Guide,
available at "www.macrovision.com".

How can I resolve it?

Offline serhan

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: Error: Terminal Server remote client not allowed.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26 »
Seems a general flexlm error caused by trying to use a non-floating licence as a floating-licence. Similar error: http://www.maplesoft.com/support/Maple9/Installation/9.aspx

Serhan

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:25 »
This is related to the statement in our system requirements (for Windows):

"It is not possible to run a terminal-based ATK/VNL session on a remote network connection."

Basically, what it means, is that you must run VNL (and ATK) on the local machine where you sit (on Windows).

This does not, however, mean that the license server must run on the local machine, and that's the whole point of a floating license. It is even possible to tunnel connections to license servers, so if you have a license server running at the university, you can set up an SSH tunnel for the specific port specified in the license, and check out licenses even at home. This, of course, requires that you are allowed to SSH tunnel into the university network, i.e. that the firewalls are open for that kind of traffic.

The error referred to in the previous post by Serhan is also interesting, although it's related to something else, namely changing user names using the "Switch User" feature in Windows XP. I'm not sure how that would appear or affect running ATK processes, but apparently it will raise a similar error in FLEXlm with the same error code, so it's good that we now know two potential reasons for this error message.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 23:55 »
Today I discovered that FLEXlm actually, in principle, does allow you to run off a terminal server. Support for this must however be explicitly activated in the license file, and I still think it is easier (and gives better performance) to run ATK on the local computer and use the floating license server. Also, we haven't tested if this actually works in practice...

For VNL I don't think running on a terminal server is feasible anyway; the 3D graphics handling will probably not work at all.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 23:57 by Anders Blom »