Author Topic: How to manipulate MoS2 single layer into a rectangular device structure?  (Read 1996 times)

Offline qweasel

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Building an MoS2 device is not the same as graphene device because:
  • The unit cell is not conventional, and converting it to conventional is not possible (the Super lattice -> Conventional button is gray).
  • When MoS2 is imported from the database, the C axis is perpendicular to the sheet plane. So I cannot make device from bulk.
  • If I rotate it (Coord -> Rotate) 90deg around y, then 60deg around x, the sheet gets messed up (see attach).
  • If I enlarge the cell prior to rotation the sheet is not messed up. However, Neuman condition for the Poisson solver is not available: I can only choose between periodic and dirichlet (and A, B direction are not really front-back, bottom-top).
So what is the correct way of making a rectangular MoS2 device?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:02 by qweasel »

Offline Daniele Stradi

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
1. To obtain a rectangular cell, open Bulk Tools -> Supercell the Builder, change the crystalline system to "Base-Centered Orthorombic" and click transform.
2. You can use the "Swap axes" tool in Bulk Tools -> Swap axes
3. I guess this is because the rotated cell is not commensurate with the unit cell

To make an MoS2 device, apply 1. and 2., then repeat the cell along the C direction (Bulk Tools -> Repeat), then use "Device from Bulk".