Author Topic: Voltage symmetry  (Read 10806 times)

Offline paulzim

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Voltage symmetry
« on: July 15, 2009, 22:01 »
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the meaning of setting the voltages in ATK. It seems from Phys Rev B 63, 245407(2001) that each electrode is set to have a potential that is bulk + V, with 2 different V's, one for each electrode. So I would guess that

electrode_voltages = (-0.1,0.0)*Volt and electrode_voltages = (0.0,0.1)*Volt

should have the same potential drop from left to right, but the results should not be equivalent for an asymmetric system. However, upon trying this, I found that the charges on the atoms converge to the same state. My system is simply two identical metal electrodes with a molecule absorbed on one of the two electrodes.

With electrode_voltages = (-0.1,0.0)*Volt:
# sc 17 : q =  195.88425 e  Etot = -4000.99030 Ry  dRho =  4.2499E-04  dEtot =  1.6844E-06 Ry

and with electrode_voltages = (0.0,-0.1)*Volt:
# sc 18 : q =  195.88463 e  Etot = -4000.98381 Ry  dRho =  1.9519E-04  dEtot = -3.8440E-06 Ry

Although the system is assymetric, both calculations converge to the same state -- as if only the relative voltage drop mattered. Please help explain this phenomenon. Is this the expected behavior? If so, how would one fix an electrode potential to capture the asymmetry?

Thanks!

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Voltage symmetry
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 07:44 »
I have a question regarding the meaning of setting the voltages in ATK. It seems from Phys Rev B 63, 245407(2001) that each electrode is set to have a potential that is bulk + V, with 2 different V's, one for each electrode. So I would guess that

electrode_voltages = (-0.1,0.0)*Volt and electrode_voltages = (0.0,0.1)*Volt

should have the same potential drop from left to right, but the results should not be equivalent for an asymmetric system.
The former part of your guess is true, but the latter one is not.  For a given finite bias voltage ([tex]V_{b}[/tex]), there are unnumbered possible combinations for how to assign separately the exact voltage values to the left electrode and the right counterpart. Actually, it is meaningless in the physics point of view.  For the implementation in code, the average electrostatic potentials of two electrodes are shifted rigidly  in order to achieve the aim of applying a finite bias voltage ([tex]V_{b}[/tex]). Usually, one of electrodes is shifted by [tex]\frac{e*V_b}{2}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{-e*V_b}{2}[/tex] for the other one . Only the difference between the average electrostatic potentials of two electrodes has the physics meaning. In your example, the two different combinations for the assignment of "electrode_voltages"  indeed define an identical difference between between the average electrostatic potentials of two electrodes, i.e., both of them define that the average electrostatic potential of the right electrode is 0.1 eV higher than that of the left electrode.

I found that the charges on the atoms converge to the same state. My system is simply two identical metal electrodes with a molecule absorbed on one of the two electrodes.

With electrode_voltages = (-0.1,0.0)*Volt:
# sc 17 : q =  195.88425 e  Etot = -4000.99030 Ry  dRho =  4.2499E-04  dEtot =  1.6844E-06 Ry

and with electrode_voltages = (0.0,-0.1)*Volt:
# sc 18 : q =  195.88463 e  Etot = -4000.98381 Ry  dRho =  1.9519E-04  dEtot = -3.8440E-06 Ry

Although the system is assymetric, both calculations converge to the same state -- as if only the relative voltage drop mattered. Please help explain this phenomenon. Is this the expected behavior? If so, how would one fix an electrode potential to capture the asymmetry?
The two assignments for the "electrode_voltages" here are indeed different. The "electrode_voltages = (-0.1,0.0)*Volt" defines [tex]V_b=[/tex] -0.1 V, and [tex]V_b=[/tex] 0.1 V for the "electrode_voltages = (0.0,-0.1)*Volt". But you stated your two electrodes are identical,  therefore it is reasonable  to observe that  both self-consistent calculations converged a same state. In the following situations, we can think the two-probe system as asymmetric: i) the left and right electrodes are not identical, e.g., different materials chosen for these two electrodes; ii) the left and right electrodes are identical, but the molecule in center region is asymmetric. Indeed, both cases will result in that the contact between molecule and the left electrode  is different to the contact in other side (i.e., the one between molecule and the right electrode). The assignment in your test case  would capture the asymmetry characteristics if your two-probe system is indeed asymmetric.  In additional, each of  the two parameters  in the "electrode_parameters" of "TwoProbeMethod()" should be specified separately by two different entities in order to handle an asymmetric two-probe system, i.e., they look like the following:

A_electrode_params = ...
B_electrode_params = ...
twoprobe_method = TwoProbeMethod(
    electrode_parameters=(A_electrode_parms, B_electrode_parms),
    )
Especially, please take a look at the above line in blue.

Offline paulzim

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 18:07 »
Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps you can clarify for me how the voltages are referenced. If only the potential difference matters, one could specify for instance, electrode_voltages = (11.0,10.0)*Volt and this would be equivalent to electrode_voltages = (1.0,0.0)*Volt. Is this the case? If so, why specify electrode voltages at all, and not just the potential difference?

For my purposes, it would be useful to have the voltages each referenced individually to something in particular. I had thought this reference would be the Fermi level of the unbiased electrodes. If this were the case, electrode_voltages = (1.0,1.0)*Volt would have a physical meaning (that is, the potential at both electrodes would be shifted compared to the original Fermi level), and would not yield the same result as electrode_voltages = (0.0,0.0)*Volt. Is fixing the reference possible?

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:02 »
Yes, it is that case. Once the average electrostatic potentials of electrodes are shifted, the Fermi levels of electrodes will be shifted simultaneously by the corresponding magnitudes.  So you can say that the bias voltage is defined as the difference of the Fermi levels (or average electrostatic potentials) between two electrodes. The "electrode_voltages = (1.0,1.0)*Volt" will yield the same results as the "electrode_voltages = (0.0,0.0)*Volt.".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:05 by zh »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:47 »
Indeed, it would be sufficient to specify only the "bias" (the difference), and not the individual electrode voltages. But if multiple electrodes would be involved, one would need a common reference, or specify the voltages individually. The design is made to allow for this extension in the future :)

Offline zhangguangping

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:21 »
Indeed, it would be sufficient to specify only the "bias" (the difference), and not the individual electrode voltages. But if multiple electrodes would be involved, one would need a common reference, or specify the voltages individually. The design is made to allow for this extension in the future :)

Dear Anders Blom,
I have a quesiton,once I get the converged *.nc file for (0.0,0.0)*Volt,if I want to compute bias=1.0V,I have three choices:(0.0,1.0)*Volt,(-1.0,0.0)*Volt,(-0.5,0.5)*Volt.Which one will take the least time to get a converged *.nc file for bias=1.0V? Or they will take the same time?
Maybe this is a silly question.I have found it take much more time to get converged result when there was a bias than at zero bias.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:49 »
It doesn't matter how you specify the voltages, it's only the difference which matters. Yes, non-zero bias is harder.

Offline zhangguangping

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 13:23 »
It doesn't matter how you specify the voltages, it's only the difference which matters. Yes, non-zero bias is harder.
Thanks for your reply.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 13:50 »
The reason non-zero bias takes more time (in addition to being harder to converge) is that the contour integral now also contains a non-equilibrium part along the real axis. So there's simply a lot more work to be done. The good news is that this part parallelizes well, so it pays to run it over many MPI nodes.

Offline zhangguangping

• QuantumATK Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 15:44 »
The reason non-zero bias takes more time (in addition to being harder to converge) is that the contour integral now also contains a non-equilibrium part along the real axis. So there's simply a lot more work to be done. The good news is that this part parallelizes well, so it pays to run it over many MPI nodes.
another question is when I set bias=(0.0,1.0),this means the fermi energy of left electrode is 1.0eV higher than that of right electrode.Is this right?And so electrons flow from left  to right resulting a current from right  to left .Is this so?
And if atk give a postive current say 1.02E-6 A,then what is the direction?That is the current is flow from left to ringt or reverse ?
Thanks for your reply!

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 08:36 »
A simple way to picture it is that electrons are attracted to the most positive terminal, but current is opposite to electron flow.

The definition in ATK is that a positive current corresponds to the flow of (positive) charge is from left to right (see the manual) which means that electrons flow right to left. This situation is clearly obtained when the applied voltage on the left electrode is higher than on the right one.

Thanks for your question, we will make the manual a little bit clearer on this point.