Author Topic: Charge Doping  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Fats

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Charge Doping
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:55 »
Greetings ATK'ers, I'd like to utilize realistic doping levels in a two-probe structure (n-Si/insulator/n-Si), so I've opted to employ charge doping using the "charge" keyword in my electrode calculators (see below).  As a test, I'm taking an unrealistically high doping level to compare with substitutional n-type doping.
Code
left_electrode_calculator = LCAOCalculator(
    exchange_correlation=exchange_correlation,
    numerical_accuracy_parameters=left_electrode_numerical_accuracy_parameters,
    poisson_solver=left_electrode_poisson_solver,
    charge=-1
    )
When I run the calculation, however, the placement of the Fermi energy falls directly in the middle of the Si band gap (as if there was no charge doping).  This disagrees with the bulk calculation I did using the same electrode structure, k-point density, and doping level.  In that case, the Fermi energy lies extremely close to the Si CB (as expected).  Am I missing something in my input file?  Thanks for the help.

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Charge Doping
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:58 »
I guess that the use of charge doping by changing the total number of electrons  may be only suitable for the bulk and molecule configurations, not for the electrodes in a device configurations.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:40 »
I also played with the charge to tune the Fermi level in semiconductors. I didn't use such extreme levels, since you turn Si metallic basically, I was more in the 0.01 range, and it was possible then to move the Fermi level from the middle of the gap all the way up to the CB.

So, I'm a bit surprised about the device behavior... I'll have a look and see if there is something missing - not in your script, but perhaps in the algorithm, to handle this.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 16:05 »
It turns out that a bug (or rather, a feature not implemented yet) prevents this from working properly for devices. This is now fixed and will be part of ATK 12.2.2 (coming out in 1-2 weeks), along with an updated implementation of our complex band structure routines.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 00:39 »
We're getting close to having 12.2.2 finalized. It was delayed because we found a really important solution to a performance issue in the transmission spectrum that had been troubling us for a while. So hopefully now 12.2.2 can be out relatively quickly.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2012, 23:15 »
12.2.2 is now available - sorry for the delay!