Author Topic: cleave surface. bottom atoms don't start at 0 0 0. Bottom vacuum exists.  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Luiz Fern

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Hi.

I want to create a surface but can't figure out a way to don't have vacuum at the bottom. Is the default.
Of course, I have set up the bottom vacuum to be 0 layers and 0 angstrom. But still I have ~2.5 A of bottom vacuum.

I know I can translate the surface once it is created. But I really would like to have a default setting for this.

Offline Jess Wellendorff

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
1) The bottom vacuum you get with setting 0 Angstrom simply reflects the periodicity of the lattice.
2) For slab-type surface configurations, it is in general advisable to have some amount of vacuum at the bottom, e.g. 5 Angstrom, and then use non-periodic boundary conditions on the C-faces: Dirichlet at the left face and Neumann in the right face. This avoids spurious interactions between repeated cells along C.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Probably what you need is an option to say, that the specified surface layer (the clicked atom, on the first page of the widget) should be placed at c=0 and not c=1. I agree it can be useful, and we can add that in the future.

Offline Luiz Fern

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Yes Anders Blom. That's exactly what I need. Until you can add something, do you think there is some way around it?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
First of all, why is this important? It's really just a shift of coordinates. Sometimes it IS important, if you want to build further on the model, I realize that, but think about if it really matters for you.

You can always do a wrap or shift as you already wrote. Unless you're doing this 10 times, it's a quite easy operation. Generally we try to avoid making the tools in the Builder full of options, but rather rely on workflows involving a sequence of tools. (For example, no Wrap checkbox in a tool, since the user can always use the Wrap function afterwards.)

Offline Luiz Fern

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
I'm trying to create a slab. It seems that wrap doesn't work here.
Sure, I can shift but just for a matter of organization, I'd like to have the first atom precisely at 0 0 0.
Maybe I need just to accept that that isn't possible with VNL.

Thanks anyway.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
It's very possible. Just create the slab, then open the Move tool, select the atom you want at 0,0,0 and enter these coordinates in the dialog. Then wrap as needed.