Author Topic: non-rectangular gate geometry  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Bobby

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
non-rectangular gate geometry
« on: March 20, 2014, 23:14 »
Hello,

I am wondering if it possible to generate a device with non-rectangular gate shape, for example a triangular one.

It seems in the Builder we can only create a gate with rectangular shape (by setting the minimum and maximum in x, y directions). Is there any other way to determine the geometry of the gate?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: non-rectangular gate geometry
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 04:04 »
The important thing is to solve the electrostatic potential induced by the applied gate. Even if an arbitrary shape of gate is defined by the graphics tool,  one has to modify the source code to handle the solution of Poisson's equation of such an arbitrary boundary.  So I think that at the current stage there is no easy way to achieve your requirement.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:05 »
As of 13.8 ATK supports cylindrical as well as spherical gates, maybe by combining these you can something that's similar to a "tip".

Offline Bobby

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54 »
Thanks. I got it.

But I have another question about the gate geometry.

By using the command Zmin, Zmax, etc. We can draw a rectangular gate easily. However, that also means the sides of the gate should be aligned with the x(or y,z) direction. If it possible to have a rectangular gate with side in any direction (for example align with the line that is (for example 45 degree) between the y,z axis in the yz plane).

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your reply.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 15:50 »
Currently no, but the question is how realistic it might be to have that level of control over actual physical gates. Note that you can let the gate stick out of the cell, and then it will be truncated at the cell boundary. So you can always make the gate too big, that's ok.