Author Topic: Transport properties of STM-Like model  (Read 3370 times)

Offline zypchenfeng

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Transport properties of STM-Like model
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:51 »
I have question about calculating the electron transport properties in an STM-like model. Please find the detail description in the attached file. Thank you in advance.

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Transport properties of STM-Like model
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 16:50 »
1) Yes. Setting up the system will be the main channel. You will need find a suitable model structure for water on the surface of the gold electrode.
2) Yes. Same as above.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, with a little tweaks.
5) Perhaps :)

Offline zypchenfeng

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 15:08 »
Well, thank you for your reply. However, I need more information, please check the attached file and thank you in advance.

1) Yes. Setting up the system will be the main channel. You will need find a suitable model structure for water on the surface of the gold electrode.
2) Yes. Same as above.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, with a little tweaks.
5) Perhaps :)

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:50 »
There are basically two possibilities to do this.

1. Implicit solvent method. In ATK, you can assign a dielectric constant to the "vacuum" between atoms. This way you can introduce the effect of water via its dielectric constant without adding any actual water molecules. Naturally this is less accurate, but you save a lot of trouble (the whole MD part is not necessary any more, and the system is smaller to compute, since there are fewer atoms).

2. Explicit water molecules. Actually, given the dimensions of the system, you don't need that many water molecules, so this doesn't really add too much to the calculation time, except perhaps for the MD part, but you should be able to do that with less sophisticated methods like force-fields or similar.

I am aware of at least one ATK publication (since I am co-author!) with explicit water molecules in a two-probe system, and in fact one of the primary conclusions of the paper is that the water provides a very important transport pathway for the electrons. Now, the only problem is that the paper is still pending publication... It's accepted to Journal of Physical Chemistry, but it is not yet available from the journal website.

I may be able to send you a preprint, if you contact me by email and also state your affiliation etc.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:52 »
Regarding your specific question 2, ATK can import geometries in xyz format, and it will not do a new geometry optimization - unless you tell it to :)

Amorphous or not, ATK treats all atoms "as they are", there are no special requirements in the central regions (the electrodes should be periodic and metallic, but that's another story).