Author Topic: Optical Spectrum, Oscillator strength and Transition states.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Sukhbir

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Can anyone explain me
1. How to find oscillator strength from calculated optical spectrum ?
2. How to find transition states of graphene corresponding to each oscillating strength?
3. How HOMO-LUMO states are involved for each oscillator strength ?   

Offline Petr Khomyakov

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Optical Spectrum, Oscillator strength and Transition states.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 13:40 »
Regarding #1, the oscillator strength is defined for an optical transition between two particular electronic states, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillator_strength. The standard ATK output for the Optical Spectrum is the susceptibilty and dielectric tensor, given by the Kubo-Greenwood formula, see Notes in the reference manual   http://docs.quantumwise.com/manuals/Types/OpticalSpectrum/OpticalSpectrum.html?highlight=optical%20spectrum#NL.Analysis.OpticalSpectrum.OpticalSpectrum. The oscillator strength between state n and m is essentially given by the dipole matrix elements (pi_nm) in the Kubo-Greenwood formula.

Regarding #2, I would say it usually works other way. One first defines the transition of interest, i.e., state n and m, and then calculate the corresponding oscillator strength for that transition between these states. If the oscillator strength is zero, the optical transition is forbidden.  If you have a full dipole matrix, you may then identify those transitions (states) that are optically active, i.e., have non-zero oscillator strength. 

Regarding #3, HOMO and LUMO are just two states, and one may calculate the oscillator strength between HOMO and LUMO states, i.e., n=LUMO and m=HOMO.

The dipole matrix elements (oscillator strength) are not a part of basic output for Optical Spectrum analysis.