Author Topic: some question about the transfer charge  (Read 4829 times)

Offline fan0221

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
some question about the transfer charge
« on: September 11, 2009, 15:37 »
Hello everyone,

Recentlly, I investigate the effect of gate voltage on electronic transport properties in
a molecular device. I obtains the transfer charge and the equilibrium conductance with different gate
voltage. What's mean of the positive and  negative value of the transfer charge ? In other's paper, they think the positive value means that electrons are transferred from the electrode to the cluster. (Dai, et al.PHYSICAL REVIEW B 73, 045411 2006) Is it good for transport properties or not ? How do i understand the change of  the transfer charge and the equilibrium conductance with  gate voltage in the figure?

Thanks!

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: some question about the transfer charge
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 21:44 »
I think you have made a very interesting study, and clearly shown how the gate voltage actually tunes the electron charge in the central region, by adding and removing charge. Sure, a positive value would mean charge is moved from the electrode to the central region (the part you use to sum up the charge), which is allowed since the system is in non-equillibrium and we have non-conservation of charge.

To relate the conductance to the charge, you probably have to analyze the transmission spectrum, and perhaps also the molecular levels, and see how these change with the gate. They probably move, and that's why the conductance changes. Depending on the nature of these levels, etc, you can analyze the system further. There is no simple way to say whether adding or removing electrons will decrease or increase the current/conductance, it depends on the details, but basically this is the working principle of a transistor, where the primary current (source drain) is controlled by a much smaller current (the gate).

Based on this, and other things too perhaps, you can hopefully draw your conclusions and publish a nice paper :)

You may want to have a look at how other people analyze systems with a gate voltage, and compute various quantities. Search for "transistor" on the publication page and see e.g. the two graphene articles from 2007.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 21:51 by Anders Blom »

Offline fan0221

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13 »
Thanks for your help!
I have already analyzed the transmission spectrum and the molecular levels, and just have some puzzle in the change of the transfer charge.
After reading you answer, i have understood it. Thanks again!

Offline jiguomin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2011, 11:09 »
Thanks for your help!
I have already analyzed the transmission spectrum and the molecular levels, and just have some puzzle in the change of the transfer charge.
After reading you answer, i have understood it. Thanks again!
Can you tell me how many surface layer in your model? I find the gate voltage in your mode is very big and whether the enough surface layers are needed? Thanks.

Offline jiguomin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2011, 11:17 »
I think you have made a very interesting study, and clearly shown how the gate voltage actually tunes the electron charge in the central region, by adding and removing charge. Sure, a positive value would mean charge is moved from the electrode to the central region (the part you use to sum up the charge), which is allowed since the system is in non-equillibrium and we have non-conservation of charge.

To relate the conductance to the charge, you probably have to analyze the transmission spectrum, and perhaps also the molecular levels, and see how these change with the gate. They probably move, and that's why the conductance changes. Depending on the nature of these levels, etc, you can analyze the system further. There is no simple way to say whether adding or removing electrons will decrease or increase the current/conductance, it depends on the details, but basically this is the working principle of a transistor, where the primary current (source drain) is controlled by a much smaller current (the gate).

Based on this, and other things too perhaps, you can hopefully draw your conclusions and publish a nice paper :)

You may want to have a look at how other people analyze systems with a gate voltage, and compute various quantities. Search for "transistor" on the publication page and see e.g. the two graphene articles from 2007.

In the question about the transfer charge above, i find the gate voltages choosed in his model is very big, and can you tell me whether enough surface layers are need?

Offline anjana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2013, 21:48 »
Hello everyone,

Recentlly, I investigate the effect of gate voltage on electronic transport properties in
a molecular device. I obtains the transfer charge and the equilibrium conductance with different gate
voltage. What's mean of the positive and  negative value of the transfer charge ? In other's paper, they think the positive value means that electrons are transferred from the electrode to the cluster. (Dai, et al.PHYSICAL REVIEW B 73, 045411 2006) Is it good for transport properties or not ? How do i understand the change of  the transfer charge and the equilibrium conductance with  gate voltage in the figure?

Thanks!