Author Topic: bulk optmoziation  (Read 2905 times)

Offline naash

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
bulk optmoziation
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:15 »
does optimizing a device in bulk mode then using the optimized bulk  and switch it to device mode have any effect on transmission or IV curve

Offline zh

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: bulk optmoziation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:55 »
The applied voltage may lead to a change in the atomic structure of device. At the current stage, this effect is neglected.

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: bulk optmoziation
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:05 »
does optimizing a device in bulk mode then using the optimized bulk  and switch it to device mode have any effect on transmission or IV curve

It can have an effect, but if the bias is low in the IV curve the effect is properly smaller. The optimization of bulk does not take into account the external field that comes from the biases. This is how I do it normally: I optimize the device central region as a bulk system (remembering constraint) as a start. Then I apply a biases on this system of perhaps 1 Volt, and then depending on how much time I have I do one of the following:
  • Calculate the forces - and if they are small I accept it
  • Or I optimize the structure for this bias, and calculate the Transmission spectrum for this structure and compare it to the bulk optimized. If they are very close I choose to negect this effect, and dont optimize the geometry further