Author Topic: Band Structure of ICE I  (Read 2684 times)

Offline luca

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Band Structure of ICE I
« on: February 14, 2014, 16:28 »
Hi all,

I am a bit confused.
I do a ground state calculation on Ice I using PBE functional.
I get a huge band gap of nearly 8 eV over all k points which seems to be correct as Ice is an insulator.
I do the same calculation using Abinit getting NO band gap and hence a metallic phase.

Abinit uses pseudo potentials and plane waves.
Attached is my Abinit ice I input file.

Bests
Luca

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Band Structure of ICE I
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:24 »
First of all I didn't understand which program you used when you got the band gap. Second, although you can run Abinit from within ATK, support for Abinit is a bit limited if you are not using it from our interface. You have a very advanced input script for Abinit with many options, and I have to admit I don't know them. You may have better luck asking this on the abinit mailing list.

Offline luca

• New QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 14:53 »
I first used ATK to get the band gap of ice from band structure plot. This is a huge averaged band gap of 7-8 eV over all k points.
After that i used the external Abinit program which gives me no band gap for ice and
hence a metallic phase using the same functional for both programs (atk and abinit).

Any way, let me ask you in another way, what are the major differences between ATK and Abinit concerning band structure calculations ?

I asked it on Abinit Forum too, but still no answer.

Bests
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 14:58 by luca »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 15:21 »
The difference between ATK and Abinit is, fundamentally, that ATK uses localized basis sets and Abinit plane waves. How this affects accuracy, performance, etc, is a very complex question.

The reason I can't really comment on your Abinit calculation is that, as mentioned, it contains a huge amount of very specialized keywords. As far as I can judge this is because of the use of GW, so you are not really using the same approach in ATK and Abinit, hence the results can't be compared. Also, the "basic" part with k-point sampling is commented out, so if I'm not mistaken you are just doing a Gamma point calculation - was that the case in ATK too?