Author Topic: Bias direction for different electrodes  (Read 1456 times)

Offline lohy

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Bias direction for different electrodes
« on: August 27, 2024, 09:29 »
Hi,

I have tried looking through the forum but I couldn't find an answer to my question.
I am investigating the difference between a molecular junction with two Au electrodes and a molecular junction with Au and Al.

Doing so I ran into a definition problem of the forward/reverse current and the chemical potential for the Au-Al junction. It seems that  in this case the Au (left) is kept at 0 and Al(right) is changed.

A forward bias is defined as VL > VR (that being the voltage of the left electrode is higher than of the right)
in the same line the chemical potential is like this: uL < uR.
When I look at the uL given in the transmission spectra (as I understand is the fermi level of the left electrode) at postive 1V I get that uL = 0 and uR = -1.  But this would be uL > uR - so actually reverse bias?

In general I get:
positive 1V: uL=0 , uR = -1
negative 1V: uL=0, uR = +1

I am a little confused here, could you help clarify this for me?

I have attached the note from the tutorial that I tried using to understand this.

Thanks in advance.

Offline lohy

• View Profile
Re: Bias direction for different electrodes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 09:09 »
Is it that you might have a mistake in the transmission analyzer?

In the transmission spectrum shown in the transmission analyzer, via the iv characteristic, it is written as the fermi level (right) and fermi level (left). Should this instead be the electrode potential? If this is the case the current seems to be correct, if not the current is opposite of what the iv characteristic shows, if you follow the note in my post above.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 20:44 »
Short version is that the convention is different for the individual transmission calculations or when you use the IVCharacteristics analysis object. Exactly how this happened is a longer story... You can make IVCharacteristics behave the same way by setting source_electrode=Right, I think (default is left).

Offline lohy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 10:38 »
Thank you, I can see that when I do as you say it follow the convention.

I am working with a rectifying molecule, so it matters which electrode I choose as the source. So the question is whether I can "trust" the transmissions and IV curve (is the transmission spectrum at e.g. -0.5V correct or is this actually 0.5V) when I use the left electrode as the source when it does not follow the convention? Or can I do something different so it works? 

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 21:34 »
There is no bug, so you can trust the outcome. It's also impossible for the current to run "backwards", the magnitude may change with many factors, but the direction is only controlled by the bias.

Offline lohy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 13:18 »
Thank you for your help.

Just to be sure, how should I then understand the fermi levels of the left/right electrode when I have the left electrode as the source (since this does not follow the convention in the tutorials). I cannot find the electrode potentials anywhere only the current and the fermi levels. Is it correct to take the direction of the bias based only on the current I>0 or I<0, and then ignoring the fermi levels? So when I have +0.5V then  VL > VR and I ignore that the fermi levels do not follow this?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2024, 07:00 »
It's a bit silly, we should be able to answer this without hesitation... But because of the conflicting conventions plus the option to change the source electrode, maybe you can share a screenshot of what you see in the GUI when you analyze the results, and highlight what is conflicting or unclear in that. It will then be much easier to answer with certainty as it relates to your specific case.

Offline lohy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2024, 09:11 »
Yes of course. As you can see it is a rectifying molecule I am looking at. The Right electrode is Au and the left is Al. I have no gate (0V) and the transmission is at chosen at -0.5V.  In the transmission spectrum the fermi level of the left electrode is 0 and the right is 0.5.  So as I understand uL < uR indicating that the current should be positive not negative.

I observe a behavior in the transmission changing with the bias that I am investigating together with other properties, so it is important for me to be sure of the direction of the current (and electrons).

As you suggested I tried changing the source electrode to be the right instead of the left electrode. That flipped everything around (more current negative than positive).

So basically I "just" need to be sure of the direction of the current.

It seems that it does not open the bias window up symmetrically, is that also correct? Is this a feature of two different electrodes ? As i recall in the older version it opens up symmetrically, but that could also just be a choice of two Au electrodes…