Author Topic: Charge of central region  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Charge of central region
« on: June 21, 2023, 16:59 »
Dear Expert
I have optimized Fe-Sn cluster on stanene nanoribbons, and cluster placed well on stanene nanoribbon. For device, I placed the optimized geometry between electrode, Now the issue I don't have an idea how to put charges on central region as cluster already formed bond with nanoribbon.

I have attached .py file for my system. Can anyone guide me please how to solve the issue?

Thank you

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
Re: Charge of central region
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 22:56 »
You can add charge to an atom using AtomicCompensationCharge (https://docs.quantumatk.com/manual/Types/AtomicCompensationCharge/AtomicCompensationCharge.html)
There are a few examples in the manual, although usually it's used to dope say a p-n junction. But it works to assign a charge to an individual atom as well

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 23:26 »
Thank you Dr. Blom for your guidance.

The tutorial you mentioned I already studied this - I have three Fe in my cluster, if i add charge to each Fe - Is it effecting the transmission for my device system and even for bulk do I need to add the charge for each Fe?

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 00:12 »
I don't know - you tell me. Why do you want to add charges anyway? What is the physical reason to charge the Fe atoms?

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 00:22 »
Experimentally, it is proved the cluster I'm using have 3- charge so keeping in mind, I am thinking to add for my bulk and for device - I am not sure what is the physical significance? but I think adding charge will alter the electronic properties due to charge distribution.

I also haven't find anything in literature.

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 07:00 »
This is more a result of the calculation than input... If you bind charge to the cluster, it means you think it's an ion, not a molecule. But sometimes certain centers lose or gain electrons when bonded to surfaces etc, however that will happen as part of the DFT calculation, not because you charge it a priori.

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 23:58 »
- I am sorry I am not getting your point.

- As cluster is already bonded to the surface - should I add -3 charge in the central region, if yes how to do so in device input?

- or Should I do calculation both with and without charge to see the impact?

Thank you

« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 00:43 by Jahanzaib »

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 01:55 »
I would run it without any charges added and measure the MullikenPopulations on the atoms. Unless there is a clear physical mechanisms that would be responsible for binding charges to a particular atoms (or you have an isolated system) it is not physical to impose a particular charge state, since the system is full of free mobile charges that can move, and will do so, to find the state of lowest total energy as the solution. This process might end up "charging" the cluster compared to it's isolated state, but it's not like a 3+ charged isolated ionic system just sitting on top of the 2D sheet - as long there is some chemical bonding between those two systems, any mobile charge will just move out of the cluster and into the infinite leads if that is energetically favorable. So the only reason to introduce opposing compensation charges to bind electrons to particular positions in space is if there is a real physical reason. This is why we use this for doping - the dopants are the physical reason, but we don't model the actual dopant atoms (As in Si, for instance) since it's hard to control the concentration (only possible to model multiples of 1/N, where N is the number of atoms). So instead we put a little amount of "dopant effect" on each Si atom (i.e. we smear out the dopant core charge over many atoms) to attract or repel electrons. But again, there is a real physical reason for this (the dopants). I don't see that in your case.

Offline Jahanzaib

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 02:00 »
Thank you, Dr. Blom, for your valuable guidance and assistance. I appreciate your efforts in helping me understand this concept better.