Author Topic: How to Study metal-Semiconductor junctions in VNL  (Read 4856 times)

Offline dhurba

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
How to Study metal-Semiconductor junctions in VNL
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:04 »
Please give me directions on  how to Study a Metal-Semiconductor (metal-nanotube) Interface for a Schottky diode in ATK..

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 13:16 by dhurba »

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: How to Study metal-Semiconductor juntions in VNL
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:06 »
You can first build a two-probe system of metal-cnt-metal using the tool in VNL, and convert it into an equivalent bulk system.  This system will be an example of metal-CNT interface without the use of vacuum region. To build a interface structure with the use of vacuum region, it is achieved easily by removing either of the two metal electrode regions.

Offline dhurba

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:18 »
You can first build a two-probe system of metal-cnt-metal using the tool in VNL, and convert it into an equivalent bulk system.  This system will be an example of metal-CNT interface without the use of vacuum region. To build a interface structure with the use of vacuum region, it is achieved easily by removing either of the two metal electrode regions.

Very much Thanks for your suggestion ...How can i remove one of the metal electrode ?....Should i remove the atoms of the electrode by opening the structure in builder ?
And which calculator should i use for simulation..Extended huckel or DFT ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:24 by dhurba »

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:35 »
The removal of some atoms in VNL can be manipulated by the functionality of "Builder". (Select--->Delete)

The choice of the calculator may depend on your the accuracy required in your study. The DFT calculator is the much better one than Extended Huckel to produce more reliable results.

Offline dhurba

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 13:04 »
The removal of some atoms in VNL can be manipulated by the functionality of "Builder". (Select--->Delete)

The choice of the calculator may depend on your the accuracy required in your study. The DFT calculator is the much better one than Extended Huckel to produce more reliable results.

Sir...I did as You Said using ZAZ structure (using Default values )and opening it in builder deleting the other metal part ..but since i dont have a ATK-DFT license i used extended Huckel calculator(using Default values )

Please see the bandstructure generated due to the above process .Is it correct for a metal-semiconductor junction .

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:40 by dhurba »