Author Topic: Spatial Regions: Inclusion of an Oxide Layer  (Read 9761 times)

Offline Dipankar Saha

• Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Spatial Regions: Inclusion of an Oxide Layer
« on: November 12, 2013, 17:57 »
Sir
If I have to see the effect of changing the Oxide layer in case of any device.... then simply changing it, using the "spatial regions" interface, will do the job(reflecting the effect of the alternation in the transmission)?? / or, I need to make an interfacing between the oxide and the transport layer material....?? 

Offline Nordland

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Spatial Regions: Inclusion of an Oxide Layer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:01 »
I think it all comes down your system.

If you are modelling some device that is deposited on top of a oxygen layers, and you want to model effect of having a gate voltage - then I would use a spatial region. However
if you are interested in modelling the effect of the interaction between the device and layers, then I would add the oxygen-layers.

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:59 »
I got your point ......Thanks .... :)

for an unit cell...we provide spacing...in X,Y Z direction..../now suppose in X-direction it is the thickness..../ when we add a spatial region, we generally don't enter into that unit cell box.... Say. a .5 nm around gap is being maintained in between the material layer and spatial region layer(oxide)... Will it make the material layer suspended???...What if I lift the spatial region up(X-direction) into the unit cell such that it just touches below the material layer........??? 

Offline kstokbro

• View Profile
    • QuantumWise
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:40 »
The spatial region needs to be inside your unit cell, only the part of the spatial region which is inside will have an effect.

The distance from the spatial region to the device, should model the real atomic-scale distances. Forinstance, for a siO2 dielectric we use the dielectric constant of 3.8 and place the edge of the dielectric 1Å from the center of the outermost atoms in the device.

This 1 Å is used since,
a) The typical device-SiO2 distance is ~2 Å
b) the image  surface plane of the dielectric, (corresponding to the edge of the dielectric region) is typically 1Å away from the SiO2 atom positions.

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:06 »
Thank you kstokbro.... :) / This is exactly what I wanted to know....

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
Sir, in Transmission Analyzer, under the general properties...I find the value of current and voltage values, where the voltage is actually the electrode voltage that I set explicitly....but, how the value of the current has been found? Is it on the basis of simple Ohm's law...i.e. I=GV ? Then what will be the case, if I provide no voltage gradient at the electrodes, but keep the two contacts at diff. temp. values....??

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 19:01 »
Dr. Blom

Sir, in transmission spectrum analyzer...where should I set the energy value pointer...so that the eigen value and the corresponding eigen states...may lead to a complete visualization of the of the entire transmission scenario of the system.....??

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47 »
The complete picture is made up of pieces. For each energy, and for that energy for each k-point, you can visualize the transmission eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenstates, but extracting information from these quantities requires that you know what you are looking for. It's very hard to give general instructions for this, as it depends on the system, and indeed what particular phenomena you are trying to explain.

Offline Dipankar Saha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 21:14 »
Dr. A. Blom

Sir, for the sake of a better understanding, say I want to see the how a perturbation hampers the overall transmission in case of any electrical transport (from one port to the other)........ then, where should I set the energy value pointer...??  Should I set it to the point...for which I'm getting the max. transmission??