Author Topic: Relaxation problem  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Khattab

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Relaxation problem
« on: June 23, 2014, 17:07 »
Dear All,
I want to relax a tow probe system, my system consist of two rings but the process is very slowly >:( >:(, can any one guide me how to relax this system simply ??? ???, how can i set the parameters of relaxation like Force tolerance and Trust radius to make the process fast ??????
Note:- i study trend between some molecules so i don't care about accuracy, only i want to relax these molecules before i study some parameters.
Any help please   ??? ???
Kind Regards,
Khattab

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Relaxation problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:40 »
The initial structure may be far from the optimal one and something may be unreasonable. You have to check it carefully by yourself.  
The geometry optimization of a two-probe system is always not an easy thing, one needs more patience because such system contains more atoms than that of a bulk material.

Very brute optimization but with lower accuracy: small basis set, loose mesh size of k-point.

Offline Khattab

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 13:27 »
Dear Dr Zh,
Firstly, thank you very much for your  Fast Replay, for the geometry of the system , i firstly optimize the molecule by Gaussian 09 before i relaxed it between two electrodes in VNL, but the question i want to ask, If the position of the molecule between two electrodes can affect the time of relaxation  ??? ??? if the answer is Yes, How can i Justify this distances ??? ???
Kind Regards,
Khattab    

Offline Khattab

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 2, 2014, 11:22 »
Dear All,
I want to study trend between series of some molecules, but relaxation process is very slowly and high time consuming >:( >:(, i tried to decrease basis set, the calculation be faster but i don't got the relaxed structure till now, how can i solve this problem, my supervisor need this results as soon as possible, i don't make any thing, What can i do ??? Can any help me to overcome this obstacle  ??? ???
Waiting For Help :D :D!!!!!
Kind regards,
Khattab

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #4 on: July 4, 2014, 17:32 »
How large is the molecule? What do you actually mean by "relaxing the molecule" - are you referring to the position of the molecule on the metal surface, or just the molecule itself (in vacuum)? You need to provide more concrete details if you want specific help.

Offline Khattab

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2014, 01:03 »
Dear Dr Anderson,
Firstly, thank you for you answer ;D ;D, my molecule is 22 atom, what i mean by relaxation is to  relax the molecule between two electrodes before calculating current.
Note :- the molecule is already optimized separately by gaussian 09.
Best Regards,
Khattab

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2014, 08:55 »
I would suggest a different approach than just running a huge device optimization, which can be quite time-consuming (and also because I still have no information about your settings etc, I can't really advice in more detail).

From basic physics you can usually argue that the main effects (not all, but main, probably) controlling the electron flow through a molecule are related to the bonding between the molecular and the surface, and the properties of the molecule itself. So if you feel that that molecule is well described by the previous optimization, then just focus on how it's connected to the surface - for instance just manually vary the distance until you find the lowest energy (make 3-7 configurations with varying distance, compute the total energy in a slab configuration, and the look the minimum of the energy curve).

Of course there are other subtle effects, but at least this will give you some additional experience in ATK and get some initial results to work further with. Obtaining the optimal geometry of a complex system is a difficult problem which should be approached in a systematic fashion, - it rarely helps to apply a brute force "black box" method and just run a huge optimization calculation. However, no matter your choice of method it will take some time, and reducing accuracy dramatically to make it faster is not really a solution, it's cheating, since you can't really trust the results anyway. Sure, you may not always need DoubleZetaPolarized, but that needs to be checked also, separately, to ensure that whatever basis set you do choose actually describes your material reasonably.

Also, in the end: if you expect detailed assistance with your particular problem (such as suggestions on choice of parameters etc) you must share your input file or at least the relevant parts of it, otherwise we can - at best - just guess, and that's really of no help to you.

Offline Khattab

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2014, 12:36 »
Dear Dr Anderson,
Firstly,thank you very much for your detailed replay, also thank you very much for you time. finally thank you very much for you attention to help me to overcome my obstacle :D :D :D.
Now i relaxed one molecule and it normally terminated, i carried out relaxation process with Single Zeta basis set for all molecules, i want to calculate current by double zeta polarized, when i run the jop, the process terminated abnormally and give me this error message

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:/users/elbanna/appdata/local/temp/tmpwqvkl-.nl", line 651, in ?
    runtime_parameters = runtime_parameters
NLValueError: One of or more atoms has a different number of orbitals.
Terminated Abnormally

when i run calculation with Single zeta i don't get this error message, now i want to calculated current with double zeta polarized basis set if this available  ??? ??? How can i do this  ??? ???
Kind Regards,
Sayed 

Offline Anders Blom

• QuantumATK Staff
    • View Profile
    • QuantumATK at Synopsys
« Reply #8 on: July 9, 2014, 15:50 »
The error message indicates that you are using a very old version of ATK which is not supported any more. But it seems you are trying to use the SingleZeta as starting guess for DoubleZetaPolarized, that will never work.

Offline Khattab

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 9, 2014, 16:18 »
Dear Dr Anderson,
Thank you very much  :) :)
Kind Regards,
Khattab