Author Topic: How to do I- V measurements  (Read 9525 times)

Offline premkumar85

• Regular QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
How to do I- V measurements
« on: July 31, 2009, 06:12 »
i have finished 0V studies on a gold two probe system. Now i would like to apply some potential and calculate transmission spectrum,current, etc. For example if i wish to do 1V is it necessary to run a scf and then to do current and transmission calculations?

Thanks in advance.

Offline zh

• QuantumATK Support
  • Supreme QuantumATK Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: How to do I- V measurements
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:51 »
Of course. You should first do the self-consistent calculation for the bias voltage of 1.0 V and then perform the current or transmission spectrum calculations.

Offline serhan

• Heavy QuantumATK user
    • View Profile
Re: How to do I- V measurements
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2009, 12:14 »
Hi premkumar85,

For each applied voltage bias, the software calculates the electron density, etc... and writes these properties to a file with an extension "nc". For each voltage different applied voltage value, the whole scf calculation must be re-calculated since the electron density in the scattering region also changes in ATK, which makes ATK a realistic calculation environment.

However, to shorten the calculation time, you can use a previously converged simulation's results (nc file) as a starting guess for the other voltage levels (of course for the same geometry). For more information please look at the manual for restoreSelfConsistentCalculation function.

Cheers,
Serhan
« Last Edit: August 1, 2009, 12:17 by serhan »